Topic

dean krakel's colorado trail opus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports dean krakel's colorado trail opus

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ben .
    BPL Member

@frozenintime

not my trip at all, but i thoroughly enjoyed this uber trip report: a photo editor at the denver post took a buyout and did the colorado trail this summer and fall.

extensive writing (and video) on how he prepared and how it went. very entertaining and at times as helpful as a traditional guidebook.

Michael Smith
    BPL Member

@lovinco

Thanks for posting this, Ben.  I agree that it is entertaining and has some great photos.  This seems like a valuable read for anyone preparing for their first thru hike and for anyone considering the Colorado Trail. Dean includes a good overview of the conditions one can encounter and his experience of bonking and feeling like he might literally die in his trial run the year before the actual hike is a good warning.  This experience led to the gear and conditioning preparation he then discusses before the hike and the post-hike gear review is also useful.  I also liked his inclusion of the West Collegiate alternate route for 80 miles of the Colorado Trail.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I chatted with Dean for a while in the Silverton Library, when he was just beginning his CT trip, and I was nearly finished mine.  We were both in town for resupply.

I enjoyed reading his blog, but I definitely felt differently about the “experience”.  Despite a heavier pack, greater daily mileage, and being solo for the first half, I didn’t feel as challenged by it as he seemed to feel, even though I didn’t train much for it beforehand.  Everyone is different — so don’t let his account discourage you if you want to do the CT — you may find it a lot easier than he did.  For me, the biggest challenges were my boredom with the “green tunnel” areas in the first half (I need views to stay motivated, I’ve learned), and the mosquitoes/flies (which were mostly gone by the time he was on the trail).

Naomi B
    BPL Member

@naomibro

Locale: Richmond

1/18/24.

I LOVED the Dean K. saga. Been “reading ” the Denver Post for decades. It was the only paper my late father read; so I did too. Been on the CT with my mutt, so I can relate. I can also relate to “older” hikers. I am a retired, former Coloradan  now retired from teaching secondary students biology and chemistry in suburban Houston Texas. I finally have the time, funds, and wherewith all to hike long trails. it’s easier than the classroom!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools