Topic

DCF Trailstar?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DCF Trailstar?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Brett Cooper
    Spectator

@bcoop

Locale: Pacific Northwest

After reading older/initial reviews of the almighty trailstar in cuben.  The consensus seemed to be less than impressed vs the sil.  I was wondering if the newer versions fair better or if anyone who’s had one long term is impressed with it?

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Ron himself advised me against the DCF version – he offers it but doesn’t seem to like it much.

In my experience the design fundamentally relies on fabric stretch to work.

I’ve seen a couple of vlogs where people were experimenting with pitching a DCF Trailstar – it seems there’s only one pitch that works and it was hard to get dialled in.

The sil version is much more forgiving and adaptable.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Yet another example of DCF not always being the answer :)

Brett Cooper
    Spectator

@bcoop

DCF is ALWAYS the answer! ;-)

Well we will see at  least, I won’t be looking to pitch it in any “extreme” shapes. The thing looks massive for 1 and dog or kid above/at treeline. I hit the button on it after finding some videos showing it properly pitched in cuben. Now the wait begins, at least the lead times are low this time of year.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Waiting for pics and a review…inquiring minds you know.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

DCF large panels with smaller Sil panels between, rather like hardshell jackets with softshell underarm gussets that stretch. Silnylon has its limitations, but that doesn’t mean the whole shelter has to be made from it. A little stretch can go a long ways in getting a good pitch.

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Bill

Nice idea, but I’m not sure it’s practical to join DCF with sil. The bonding tape won’t stick to sil, and as we’ve been discussing in another thread, DCF doesn’t do well with unbonded sewn seams.

Brett Cooper
    Spectator

@bcoop

“Stretchy DCF” it would be an interesting approach….its the Non-Stretch that I enjoy with Cuben, once you get it set, it’s set.

I think one of the issues I have seen with the DCF TStar is getting the edges taut(according to the internet). Initially I thought the edges had a cat cut on them for both versions, but Ron corrected me, stating the edges are flat. I wonder if a slight cat cut would alleviate the “flap”?  I look forward to playing with  and getting some nights out under it.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I love MLD stuff. I have 2 Supermids (a DCF and a Sil with a stove jack), a Duo, a Solo, lots of liners… all those in cuben. Best shelters in the biz, no contest. But a friend stopped by my place with his DCF Trailstar because he couldn’t figure out how to pitch it, even after watching online vids. We futzed with it for a while and the only taut pitch came from an absurdly low center pole and a sprawl of low-angle guy lines. He was happy we figured it out and was excited to use his new mega-footprint tarp, but I rolled my eyes at the belly-crawl overhead clearance and the acreage required to stake it out. Sheesh. Just get a ‘mid.

R
    Spectator

@autox

Something that may address edge flap/tension is applying a cat cut and leaving a channel in the hem to run a light cord through it that gets tensioned at the corner.  If a pitch doesn’t apply even tension in the direction of the circumference, this will still pull things taut in the radial direction.  You may get radial creases, but nothing will be slack.

Some shade sail products use this approach and I’ve had success with it on large poly tarp structures at Burning Man.

Nathan H
    BPL Member

@n8fyn

I owned one and spent many hours in the yard trying to pitch it well, but couldn’t. Eventually gave up and sold it and got a sil version. It’s SOO much better than the DCF version.

change your order before it’s too lateeeee

Brett Cooper
    Spectator

@bcoop

@ Phillip  and @ Nathan

What were the issues?  Unable to get it to a “Live-able” Height?  Not able to get a taut pitch on all sides? or simply being confined to the “Standard” Pitch.  I am hopeful that I can get taut pitch with the center pole set to 125-135 CM, seems like it will open up usable space. I suspect the DCF will pitch well low(100-115 CM) and pinned down, but space and entry/exit will suffer.  The real question is whether the Green or White DCF variant is the most capable  at wind shedding…..

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I will be the counter-point.  I have used a cuben trailstar for years now and have really liked it. It is definitely a little harder to get a taut pitch; I think it could probably be improved a little geometrically.

BUT, it is nice and light, doesn’t absorb water, shakes dry, and stays as taut as you can get it, and has loads of coverage. I have learned to get a much better pitch, largely by adjusting how I set the door. Pulling the bottom corners of the doors in a bit allows you to get the mid pole a little higher with the panels still pulling tight.  I love not having a zipper too.  I also find that it doesn’t have to be drum tight because the shape is so wind-resistant.

Hope you like yours as much as I do.

Brett Cooper
    Spectator

@bcoop

Good to hear Ben, thanks for the counterpoint opinion, it does not get much good press. The coverage to weight and the shake dry are 2 reasons I wanted the DCF. I appreciate the tip on the door pitch. I was actually gonna try to pitch it by first staking the rear point, then inserting center pole, pitching the door, ending with the “corner” points. Do you think a slight cat-cut on the edge would be beneficial?  I just got word it is built and will be shipping next week.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

If you are dead set on a drum-tight initial setup, you probably will not be satisfied.  The mid-panel bottom edge can be a little loose.  But it doesn’t loosen when wet.  And it has always performed well in wind and rain. I’ve never had any ill effects of the mid-panel looseness, and I’ve gotten better at setting it up.

Brett Cooper
    Spectator

@bcoop

Mine arrived on Monday(Fasted MLD order ever!) It weighed in at a scant 11 ounces. Amazing MLD construction. I think a slight cat-cut on the edgesmight be beneficial.

I have played with it, I can get it pitched very well at multiple heights. It is a humbling experience at first and requires patience. “Cuben Mid….no problem, cuben flat tarp….no problem….cuben Trailstar.. …ummm….problem..Ha!

The door seem to be the crux of the pitch and I can only get a high, narrow door. Even set low with the edges almost at ground level(center at 100cm) I find there is a decent amount of liveable space and I imagine it would be a bombproof shelter. I will post some pictures after some more practice.

Hey Ben,

Have you been able to achieve a low door? When you set up, do you follow the MLD instructions or do you have your own system? DCF seems to be a fickle beast. Thanks

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Brett

My suggestion is to go above and beyond to get the pitching as systematic as possible.

Setting-up the TrailStar in the back yard is one thing. Setting up on uneven ground in cold, dark and storm after a long day on the trail is quite another – I can tell you from experience. At which point you’ll be really grateful you have a solid routine!

Once it’s up it’s the king of bad weather, but getting a good pitch on tricky ground can be a bit of a pain. And because of the humongous footprint, you’ll often be using less-than-ideal terrain.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

I agree that it pitches better with a narrow door in most circumstances.

A low door is harder.  I have done it a couple of ways.  One is to keep the center pole lower than normal.  The other is to pitch it where the entire trailstar is a little tilted up on the door side; this pitch requires that the tie out next to the door be a little elevated.

I think you’ll love it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools