Topic

DCF prices going way up? Zpacks just raised prices considerably.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DCF prices going way up? Zpacks just raised prices considerably.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

Glad I ordered all of the shelters and packs I needed from them during the holiday sales, as they have now bumped up prices over many products. Altaplex is now $50 more, even on top of a pretty good price hike not long ago.

Seeing as how I had to wait months for an order on an MLD 1/8 foam pad, I think I might be trying to prepare early for next summer’s trips.

Are there supply chain issues on other materials to look out for this year?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

At least ZPacks has both .51 and .74 DCF available. MLD’s website says they won’t have shelters in .74 until August/September 2022 (estimated). RSBTR and Dutchware only have .51 DCF in stock. Dyneema in .74 is a rare commodity, almost like gold or platinum.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

They might be flexing their muscle over there at Zpacks, seeing as they have a pretty good size chunk of the DCF backpacking product market. They can probably survive cranking up their prices more than some other companies and might also have dibs relating to any sort of supply contracts?

The high-end UL gear scalpers on Ebay are going to be making a killing at it this year. They just made a nice profit for this year’s sales if they’re sitting on a bunch of high-demand DCF gear.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I have been expecting since last May after reading THIS POST BY JOSH J .

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Can’t speak to specific material supply chain issues-major issues with construction materials- but China will have 2 weeks off for their new year, shutting down factories for olympics and are out of storage for many products as they wait for shipping costs/issues to normalize. I suspect things are going to get quite a bit worse than last year as far as this is concerned.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I sell manufacturing machines for my day job.

Things will get worse before they get better. Plan way, way ahead this year.

Couple examples – a 40′ shipping container used to cost us $1800 to ship. Now its $18,000. In another case, our japanese factory will not allow us to order some models of machines until December this year due to limited resources; they want to focus on core machines and forget the rest until things normalize more. If a customer hands us cash for one we have to tell them to wait 15 months or choose another model. Not where you want to be when the market is hot, but literally everyone is in the same crappy boat.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools