Topic

DCF Camo?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DCF Camo?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    David N
    BPL Member

@deejayen

I’m thinking about buying a tent which is available in either plain DCF or camo DCF.

The camo version is slightly heavier and more expensive.  Other than those disadvantages, I can see, or imagine, that a camo pattern might provoke negative reactions, especially when stealth camping.

However, the plain DCF is more ‘see through’ and will block even less light.

I’d initially thought about buying the DCF version, mainly for the extra privacy, but I’m now thinking that the non-camo tent is lighter, cheaper and less ‘military-looking’, so perhaps it’s a wiser choice.

Anyway, I’m just wondering what the consensus is with regard to DCF camo.

By the way, I should also mention that the same tent is available in 20D SilPoly (at less than half the price of the DCF ones), and I haven’t ruled that out either – I’ve not seen or used a tent made from DCF or 20D SilPoly, so will be buying blind.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Save your money. Go silpoly. Slight weight penalty but it packs much smaller.

David N
    BPL Member

@deejayen

Thanks very much!

I started off thinking SilPoly might be the sensible choice, especially as I haven’t seen the tent, and it’s quite small (Stealth 1) and I’m not sure about how it will feel (ie I might not like it).  Also, I’d be using it for cycle touring and small pack size is probably more important than weight.

However, the manufacturer says the DCF version doesn’t pack much bigger.  I suppose there’s not much material in that size of tent, and the inner floor is nylon in either version.  That also means there’s only 135g difference between the SilPoly and plain DCF, and 110g difference between the SilPoly and camo DCF, assuming the listed weights are accurate.

The manufacturer also said the DCF takes and maintains tension better, and for some reason seems to handle condensation better.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

Camo doesn’t look very camo unless it actually blends with the surroundings, and is often very season dependent. Natural solid colors might actually stand out less in some cases.

I personally LOVE the transparent nature of thin DCF and is a huge reason I spent money on it. It’s pretty amazing to be able to lay in bed and still see the outdoors… you know… the outdoors I went hiking to look at? ;)

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

You could probably get your bike under there too..that tarp is small minimal @ 5.8×9.. You could always go bigger.. 7×9.. Or bigger then that too. Save some money, light weight, keeps you dry, not stuffy,  packs tiny small and have all the views you went outdoors to see.. 360°..

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Camo provoking negative reactions when stealth camping? Seems contradictory. Regardless, what tent specifically?

David N
    BPL Member

@deejayen

It’s unlikely to be a problem most of the time, but I think with camo patterns it makes it look as though you’re trying to hide.  Also, some people don’t like the military, so might view you with some hostility.

The tent I’m interested in is a TrekkerTent Stealth 1 (made here in the UK).

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Be aware that DSM no longer makes camo because of quality control issues with the glue/resin. Also, be wary of claims that’s there’s something magical about DCF and it’s ability to fend off condensation.

-H

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The one advantage I find with DCF is that it doesn’t sag.   You can mitigate this with other fabrics by adding some shock cord to your guy lines that will take up the slack as it starts to sag overnight.   I gather silpoly doesn’t sag as much as silnylon but all of my shelters are DCF or silnylon so I can’t say from personal experience

It seems crazy that anyone would suggest that DCF is less prone to condensation.   On my wonderland hike, it felt like it was raining inside my hexamid.

I wouldn’t base my decision to buy a camo pattern on how a mentally unstable person may react.   If they’re so easily triggered to become verbally aggressive or violent over camouflage, then they were likely an episode looking for a place to happen.

David N
    BPL Member

@deejayen

Thanks, Henry.  I appreciate that information.

David N
    BPL Member

@deejayen

I don’t think they said that DCF produced less condensation, but that it seems to handle it better, which might not be the same thing.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Looks like a Tarptent Protrail clone.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

It does look similar to the Protrail except that it’s a double wall shelter.   The Protrail’s Achilles heel for me has been condensation.   I expect this with a single wall shelter but its important to be aware of this  when buying.  I find that as long as my Protrail is taut (silnylon sagging issues previously mentioned) then it’s a non issue for me and almost the perfect shelter for my needs.

If a double wall version fixes this issue for nearly the same weight and cost…

Yo Henry

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Cheaper and lighter would be a no-brainer for me. I really don’t care about privacy or light-blocking when it comes to my tent. Blinds on my bedroom window … yes.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

+1 Dan.   I haven’t had any concerns privacy wise with .51 DCF.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

“Looks like a Tarptent Protrail clone.”

It’s a GoLite Hut1 clone.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools