Topic

DCF .51 vs. .74 packability?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DCF .51 vs. .74 packability?

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Ian.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Hey all Im about to buy a shelter and Im deciding on what DCF weight fabric to get. Im leaning more towards the .74. The weight doesn’t concern me as much as its packable space I have for the shelter. Will the .74 be much larger packed than the .51 or will it not really be noticeable? Thanks

Mike V
    BPL Member

@deadbox

Locale: Midwest

I suppose it depends on how big a shelter your talking about. I’ve had identical shelters in .51 and .74 (hexamid) and didn’t notice any difference in how small they pack. The key in my experience in packing cuben is making sure to fold and roll it up tight as opposed to just stuffing it in a sack like you can do with silnylon

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have shelters in both fabrics and find that the .74 is noticeably bulkier.   I haven’t had a bad experience with .51 and will opt for that moving forward.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools