Topic

Day Pack suggestions for heavier payloads

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Day Pack suggestions for heavier payloads

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CFDTuc
    BPL Member

@ncfftuc

I’ve got an odd request. Instead of the normal quest for something lighter, I’m looking for help finding a pack designed for heavier loads.

Living in Central Indiana, workup day hikes utilize sled hills and overpasses. In addition, I try to carry a pack loaded quie a bit heavier than my backpacking pack.  Loads are typically 35+/-pounds and I’ve used a 22L Osprey for several years but it’s broken down from being asked to do a lot more than it was ever designed to do.

For reference, my trail pack is a ULA Circuit typically loaded to 20# including food, I’m 6’1″, 195# with broad shoulders.  I’d like to get something with comfy shoulder straps but smaller volume.

Grateful for any help or suggestions!

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I would look into smaller packs designed for summits; they can generally haul a lot and they’re designed for playing rough.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

Years ago I purchased a cheap Lowe Alpine crag pack for overnight bushwhacking trips.  Narrow profile to keep from getting hung up on brush and limbs, very durable materials.  30L or so tho don’t recall off the top of my head.  Carries 20 lbs fine.  Still use it occasionally for day hikes when my wife is toting camera gear and I carry the rest of our stuff.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

Dooh!  Re-read your post and somehow missed the “35 lbs”.  Yeah, I don’t know that I could stand 35 lbs in that pack for long!

CFDTuc
    BPL Member

@ncfftuc

Thanks for the suggestions!  I’ll start looking for summit packs.  ULA suggested their Photon, with an aluminum stay to help with the load.  I’ll look some more before I commit.

Yeah, I’ve found workup hikes (6-12 miles) under heavy load at a pretty good clip help get the lungs and legs in shape for ascents.  Docs don’t me to run anymore unless I’m eager to replace my knees so I’ve had to find something else to “stress” my system.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools