Topic

David's torch lighters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) David's torch lighters

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I got some of those lighters from amazon that David mentioned

Pack of 4 Single Jet Flame Torch Lighter Windproof Refillable Cigarette Lighter (Jumbo)

$12.19 for 4

I used one on a trip.  Used it a fair amount mostly just playing with it.  Good to make fire and light stove.  Quite good in the wind.  It has a narrow jet flame or torch, not a feeble flame like a BIC lighter.  It seems fairly robust for being so cheap and made of plastic.

With a BIC lighter, if you hold it on for a while, the lighter starts getting hot and I worry the thing is going melt and explode in my hand.   This lighter doesn’t get hot, even if it’s on for a while.

There’s a lock control.  Push to the unlock position and then the lighter works without having to push a child safety button simultaneously with the on button like some (annoying) lighters.  Push to lock and then the lighter wouldn’t accidentally come on.

I used 0.11 oz of butane on the trip which was about 1/4 of the capacity.  I think this would be big enough for any trip I’ll ever do.  Maybe a summer of trips.  Like I said, I was playing with (testing) it quite a bit.  Most lighters have tiny fuel tanks, this one is about half fuel tank.

Weight – 2.9 ounces full (it came full defying FTC regulations).  The weight of the fuel is about 0.5 ounces.

4.25 inches tall, the barrel is 1.125 inches diameter, the torch end is 2.5 inches wide.

This is probably over-kill for lightweight backpacking.  More a toy for a male that’s never grown out of adolescence. Better as a tool around the house.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Link please.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Appears to be this:

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, that’s it, thanks

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Thanks JR.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools