Topic

Data breach?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I just received notification that my password on your website was compromised in a data breach. Have you had a recent data breach?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

That should be a scam email to get your password.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If I’m ever concerned about whether or not my email or passwords might have been exposed in a data breach, I use haveibeenpwned to check. It’s a very useful site.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yes and using a password manager do you don’t have any repeated passwords is a good idea.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

I put my email into haveibeenpwned (great site btw) and do not see anything about Backpackinglight. Does this site showup for you there?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

pwned?

“pwned
    A corruption of the word “Owned.” This originated in an online game called Warcraft, where a map designer misspelled “owned.” When the computer beat a player, it was supposed to say, so-and-so “has been owned.”

Instead, it said, so-and-so “has been pwned.”

It basically means “to own” or to be dominated by an opponent or situation, especially by some god-like or computer-like force.
    “Man, I rock at my job, but I still got a bad evaluation. I was pwned.”

OR

“That team totally pwned us.””

That’s so funny.  Cultural derivation based on the closeness of the “o” and “p” keys on a qwerty keyboard.  Which was created to minimize collisions on a mechanical typewriter.

It said I’ve been “pwned” from linkedin which I never use since I don’t work anymore

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

Its used in many contexts – like you said originally gaming. Now it is a popular term within the hacker / darknet community to describe when you have gained “root” or admin access to a system or network – basically the point at which you have the highest, most powerful level of access. If you watch the surprisingly accurate show “Mr. Robot” this will all make a lot more sense.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Mr. Robot – great show although I’ve kind of tailed off after a couple seasons

I like how they have unix and c code displayed – related to the subject of that episode to the best of my limited understanding : )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools