Topic

Darn Tough Socks: The Hunter OTC, Mountaineering OTC and the T4050 OTC

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Darn Tough Socks: The Hunter OTC, Mountaineering OTC and the T4050 OTC

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I contacted Darn Tough about three different socks that appear to essentially be identical.  Here is their reply for everyone’s information.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for reaching out to us. The Hunter OTC, Mountaineering OTC and the T4050 OTC Extra Cushions are all comparable in performance. All three styles sit at approximately 17″ from heel to cuff and each sock is fully lined with high-density terry looped merino wool cushioning. One big difference between the three is that the T4050 within our Tactical line and is knit with 100% domestically sourced wool and materials whereas all of our socks in our Men’s, Women’s, and Juniors collections are knit with globally sourced wool and materials.

Although the overall composition varies slightly between these three styles, we have not noticed any significant difference in warmth or support between these styles and the main differences between these models are color, pattern, and material sourcing.

Hunter OTC Extra Cushion: http://darntough.com/products/hunter-over-the-calf-extra-cushion

Tactical T4050 OTC Extra Cushion: http://darntough.com/products/t4050-tactical-over-the-calf-extra-cushion

Mountaineering OTC Extra Cushion: http://darntough.com/products/mens-mountaineering-otc-extra-cushion

In case you didn’t know, we offer free 90-day order returns and exchanges when you order directly from us. If for any reason you’re unhappy with your purchase, you can return your socks for a refund or an exchange within that 90-day time-frame.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there is anything else we can do to assist you!

Thank you for choosing Darn Tough,
    Sherriann L.
    Darn Tough Vermont
    Customer Support Team
    877-327-6883

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have heard that some government agencies buy made in USA only.  So, the T4050 would work.  I wonder if they get a lot of such orders.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

Tactical socks? Everything is “tactical” nowadays.  What are those of us who take the larger view and think strategically supposed to do?

I suppose I’ll have to go barefoot until someone comes out with “Strategic” socks.

John Baltzell
    BPL Member

@baltzell

If businesses want the ability to sell their products to the DOD they must comply with the Berry Amendment, originating in 1941 and tightened up in subsequent years.

“The Berry Amendment is a statutory requirement that restricts the Department of Defense (DOD) from using funds appropriated or otherwise available to DOD for procurement of food, clothing, fabrics, fibers, yarns, other made-up textiles, and hand or measuring tools that are not grown, reprocessed, reused, or produced in the United States.”  There are exceptions of course.

So if  Darn Tough wants to sell their products to the DOD they need to use 100% domestically sourced wool and materials in their tactical line.

Darn Tough socks are very popular with the units here at Ft Hood.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools