Topic

Dan Durston X-Mid2 – back in stock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Dan Durston X-Mid2 – back in stock

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Keith L
    Spectator

@klong4

If anyone has been following this tent, it is now back in stock.  I believe they got 250 in today.

This is not an affiliated link, already got mine so sharing the wealth.

https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-2p

He sells them through amazon, there will be a link on the page.

2 person trekking pole tent at 2.25lbs.

Keith L
    Spectator

@klong4

Looks like they sold out already.  If you are interested in the next batch I believe you can sign up for notifications.  That’s what I did, I won’t be checking it in the future however so you are on your own.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Sold out

Ryan Humphrey
    Spectator

@telvin3d

For someone who missed this, what would be some good comparable tents? The GG The Two is a bit smaller, and I don’t like how super light the fabric is. 10D is just too light for my comfort. The TT StratoSpire 2 looks similar, but a bit more expensive and I don’t love the extra lines it needs to pitch.

Anything else out there I’m missing?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Amazon closes the listing a bit early to make sure they don’t oversell it, so they’ve released another ~20 recently and probably will release a few more in the next day or so as they ensure they have the stock.

Yeah the GG Two is lighter, but smaller, less durable (10D fabric, #3 zips), and less functional (singlewall, no vents, high cut fly etc). Good tent if you want something more on the lightweight fringe. Stratospire is the closest and also a nice well rounded tent (it’d be my 2nd choice). It uses more durable fabric than the X-Mid (30 vs 20D) but also ~6oz heavier, more expensive, non-seam taped, has struts to pack up, more complex pitch, and doesn’t use no-sag poly.

Another option is the SMD Haven but currently sold out out. Kinda like a doublewall GG Two. Weighs about the same as the X-Mid (2oz less but not seam sealed) but much smaller (44″ wide floor), more expensive, doesn’t use high end components like waterproof zippers, uses less durable #3 zips, and again doesn’t use no-sag poly.

Other options are Yama Swiftline 2P (but unavailable I think), and something from Lightheart Gear.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Best bet.. hold and and wait for Xmid 2P..

I want one!! Luckily I dont need one.. so I dont mind waiting.. near mid summer I will start pursuing it more…

Keith L
    Spectator

@klong4

Alright, Dan Durston commenting on my thread.

Thanks for making an affordable/quality tent.  I also really appreciate your candor.  I have been following this tent for months and your input/insight sold me on it as much as anything else.

I think my favorite feature is being able to set this up easy in the rain.

Thanks again.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Dan,

If I didn’t want to use trekking poles with your tent, which pole from Ruta Locura would you recommend?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

They’re expensive, but Ruta Locura’s 450 poles are good:
    http://www.rutalocura.com/tent_pole_450.html

The ideal pole would be adjustable the 5 piece. They will custom build you a pole like that for about $65 ea. Normal length is 47-48″, so I’d have it adjustable from about 45-53″ (it’s an 8″ adjuster as I recall).

Also note their “spike” to fit into the grommet is quite long so it’s a good idea to file it down or hacksaw half of it off, just to make sure it doesn’t poke too far through the grommet and damage the tent (although the tent is quite well reinforced and should be fine).

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Thank you sir

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools