Topic

cyanobacteria warning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web cyanobacteria warning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

http://www.sgvtribune.com/health/20160831/toxin-known-to-kill-dogs-within-30-minutes-found-in-several-california-lakes-rivers

“Out of the more than 30 bodies of water where dangerous algae toxins have been detected this year, anatoxin has been found in at least two rivers and five lakes, including Lake Shasta in Northern California and Lake Elsinore in Riverside County, Anderson-Abbs said. It’s one of several toxins produced by cyanobacteria, commonly known as blue-green algae, and has been linked to dog deaths across the country.”

Anyone know if standard water-treatment methods offer protection? Anyways, be careful out there.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

from what I’ve read about this in the past, many (most) back packer water treatment systems are not effective against this. the issue is the toxins produced, not so much the algae or bacteria. if the chemical toxins are not removed from the water it is still dangerous to drink.

I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon with specifics.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

If I recall, the First Need filter seemed to do a good job of removing cyanobacteria but I’m not sure if there is any more recent info about it. Here’s an 8 year old publication

Eon’s ago, when I was was playing around with a First Need filter in my Scout Troop, I decided to filter Pepsi through the thing.  I was shocked to see clear, un-carbonated, sugar water come out. That water, plus the next 20 gallons of water had a sugary taste to it.

Not a bad treat for a bunch of growing Boy Scouts!

Mercedes Clemens
    BPL Member

@motorlegs

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-08/documents/cyanobacteria_factsheet.pdf

See pages 7-8

According to the EPA, nanofiltration (0.001 to 0.01 microns) should take care of the toxins (extracellular microcystins) with frequent backwashing. It also looks like granular activated carbon (GAC) inactivates them, as well as chlorine (but the latter is pH dependent). UV is also supposed to be effective, but effective dosage is “impractical”.

I’d probably lean toward carbon filtration followed by nanofiltration.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools