Topic

Cyanide Bombs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Environmental Issues Cyanide Bombs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I was vaguely aware of their existence but was aware of some eagles and other animals that died as a result of eating poisoned carrion, although I’m not sure if it was cyanide or something else.

I don’t claim to know all the variables here but it sounds pretty indiscriminate and doesn’t pass the sniff test (no dark humor intended).

If you have some first hand experience with this, I’d like to hear your thoughts.

https://www.eenews.net/assets/2019/08/08/document_gw_05.pdf

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

No first hand experience, but there was a report on it in the Guardian newspaper a couple of days ago.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Yeah, I’ve heard about that.  People’s dogs get into them (and die).

that seems like a bad, indiscriminate

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Dan Flores discusses these as well as predator management policy/history in Coyote America.  I’d highly recommend it.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Second the above. Great book and lots of info on this and other highly questionable tactics to “control” or really eliminate Coyotes that ironically back-fired in major ways including lots of indiscriminate killing of other animals. The cyanide was in the form of some sort of exploding capsule. Lots of other nasty poisons.

One takeaway is that the Coyote genetic bureaucracy out-maneuvered and outlasted the pest control bureaucracy. Survival of the fittest. Coyotes just recently made it to this far coast and I don’t think they’ve yet made the next jump to Hatteras Island. Lots of local alarm at these new fellow travelers so this book was really interesting and timely. A very well-written page turner and perspective adjustment.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks all.  I’ll check that book out

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

More on the Orwellian named Wildlife Services .

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Ironically, the Cumberland Island National Park staff recently eliminated the last of the coyotes that hopped over (swimming was their only access). It took the park staff several years of night hunting in the dunes to take out the pack. The coyotes lived off deer and small game. Then they discovered sea turtle eggs which the coyotes would raid every night during nesting season. That was the beginning of the end of the island hopping coyotes. BTW, this summer was the largest sea turtle hatch ever known along the southeastern Atlantic coast beaches and barrier islands. Quite a comeback species thanks to the efforts of a lot of volunteers and college staffs.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks Bill and Dondo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools