Topic

Cutting cuben question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cutting cuben question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I have a tarp made out of aluminized cuben. I want it to be smaller than it is. Can I just cut it down to size without worrying about the sides fraying and such? I don’t sew. At all. But I can cut stuff. Hence the question.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

How about using some doublestick tape to hem it?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Didn’t think of that. Danke.

Now I just have to learn what a hem actually is.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Folded over. Look at a tee shirt sleeve or the bottom of your jeans. Those are folded and sewn into a hem.

This is the technique I have used for making little DCF bags. He hems the top edge where the draw cord goes through

YouTube video

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I should probably clarify that I’ve never made a tarp and my idea might be stupid or misinformed.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

I sent samples of some older Cuben to Stephen Seeber to test – the results are reported on the GEAR forum. Found is very easy to cut the material with a linoleum knife, much easier than woven nylon for which I use sharp scissors.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools