Topic

Current state of tents for the very tall

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Current state of tents for the very tall

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    David L
    BPL Member

@family-guy-2-2

I like the look of that.  How is condensation management and wind performance?

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

I have only had it out 3 nights, so I haven’t had the Lightning long enough to test it in any kind of winds. I haven’t had any condensation yet. Where SD excelled was making the tent double walled from the head down to where the knees lay. The only single walled part is from about the knees to the feet. However, there’s spacious ventilation at the foot end. I pitched with the feet to the wind, so I had a lovely light breeze coming in and out the awning end. Speaking of the awning, since there is no longer a vestibule where you enter, you have an awning with a door so you can zip the solid part half way up at night and still have plenty of airflow.

Timothy Hopper
    Spectator

@tdhopper

Locale: North Carolina

I made a mock 2-person Cirriform DW in my living room like KT suggested. One obvious thing is that it’s quite narrow.

Int. width at ground level: 46″ (head) 43″ (foot)
    Int. width at top of tub: 51″ (head) 48″ (foot)

The two pads I have are 50″ wide, so they can’t even lay flat in the tub. That might be ok; my wife and I are likely to only go out for a night or two at a time together; otherwise, I’d use it alone. But that has me a bit concerned.

George H
    BPL Member

@unworhty

My ’94 Stephenson Warmlite 2R is easily more than 7′ on the inside. I’m 6’3″ and the dog sleep at my feet.

It was costly back then. If they are still making it would be even more today!

Timothy Hopper
    Spectator

@tdhopper

Locale: North Carolina

Wife and I slept out under my 10’x8′ sil tarp on a piece of Tyvek, and it was a great success. Of course, their was 0 precipitation overnight.

I think I’m going to just stick with a tarp when we’re together. I’m probably going to try to find a cuben bivy for myself. (Anybody got a recommendation on a bivy maker who will add custom length?)

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools