Topic

Current state of tents for the very tall

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Current state of tents for the very tall

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Hopper
    Spectator

@tdhopper

Locale: North Carolina

I’m 6′ 9″ and have resigned myself to using a tarp when backpacking. I’m about to introduce my wife to backpacking, so I’m on the lookout for a two person tent. I need a 3-season tent that will give us some privacy and keep us dry in the southern appalachians. I’ve seen some discussion of tents for tall folk, but (a) many of them are for people 6″-9″ shorter than me and (b) many appear out of date.

I was looking at the REI Quarter Dome 2 Plus as a starter tent for overnights. However, it’s 98″ floor doesn’t feel all that long in the store model. The walls are slanted to where I think I’d inevitably be pressing on one end.

I thought the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 might work, but I’ve seen reviews from tall people indicating otherwise.

ZPacks Hexamid Long may have worked, but it looks like they’re no longer making it.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

ben .
    Spectator

@frozenintime

i’m 6’1″. realistically, the copper spur will be too short for you.

zpacks might custom make an old model? email them.

lightheart gear makes the ‘solong 6’ which would be perfect for you solo, but probably tapers too much at either end. but their ‘duo‘ might be the ticket?

Caledonia Heather
    BPL Member

@heatherfeather

When my boyfriend joins me on backpacking trips, we actually use a three-person tent, the 3 person version of the copper spur. He is 6’6″ and has room to spare. The tent is still pretty light too. I took off some guy lines and switched out stakes and it weighs in right at 3 pounds if memory serves.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I think I remember reading about a guy who had a Yama Gear Cirriform that was made at least a foot longer than the regular length….I think sometimes the cottage manufacturers can customize shelters so it’s worth asking….

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I believe Henry claims the Tarptent Double Moment can handle guys your height.  But I’d certainly try to try-before-buy if possible.  I believe TT has the same claim for the Notch, but at 6’5″ I barely fit.  Best of luck to you.  I feel your pain.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’m 6’3″ and the runt of the family.  One possibility would be to find a two person shelter that you can sleep diagonally in.  The Hexamid Twin works well for me, but you have 6″ of height on me.

I think the Zpacks Altaplex may be a possibility if you don’t sleep perfectly straight.

This tent has a solid, sewn in 8 inch (20 cm) tall bathtub floor. The bathtub floor is a rectangle 36 inches wide by 7.5 feet long (91 cm x 2.3 m), plenty of space for one taller person to stretch out, or for an average sized person plus gear. You can use a full length wide width sleeping pad with room to spare.

This tent is a good choice for a hiker up to about 6′ 6″ (2 meters). If you need extra space try propping up the side guylines for even more headroom. The Duplex tent is also an equally good choice for a taller hiker if you prefer dual doors. You can sleep at a diagonal in the Duplex.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

As a short 6’3″ I too would suggest a lengthened Cirriform

http://www.yamamountaingear.com/cirriform-shelter/

Gen’s your neighborhood,and builds a quality product. Prices in silnylon are not bad either.

I met Henry Shires at a GGG one year and he was saying how most people are under 6′. Looked a bit surprised when I pointed out that 25% of the male attendees were over 6′. The tall do need some more choices. Need more shoes available in size 15s, but that’s another thread.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

My boyfriend is taller than you. He did a lot of shopping and we ended up with a Tarptent Cloudburst 3 for the two of us plus the dog. He fits inside with his extra large, extra wide NeoAir with inches to spare.

The end mesh walls are vertical and when he sits up he is just a little bit hunched over. Non-sloped end walls were a reason we avoided tents like the Lightheart (I love my solo Lightheart but I’m only 5′ 6″).

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

The Cloudburst is an awesome tent….good suggestion.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

The  Slater UL2+ would be plenty long for you.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/slaterul2%2B

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This is a mate of mine inside his Double Moment :

Chris is 6’2″

(ignore the floor,it wasn’t pulled out ).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Yeah and Timothy is 6’9″ and looking for a two person shelter for the rainy, humid southeast. Not that he might find a solution at Tarptent, but you might be a bit biased.

Be nice to hear from Timothy if they prefer front or side entry. And how concerned they are about weight. And if they use poles.

David L
    BPL Member

@family-guy-2-2

That Slater might fit although the ends slant a bit.  But 96″ is loooong.

Nice call, Mike.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I’m sorry KT that you found my photos to be biased but since I did not make any comments  on that post I might add that Chris does have about 10″ to spare laying down and a bit more sitting up,  given that the floor is 84″ long and the apex is at 45″ , regardless of my bias.

BTW, no I did not edit my previous post…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Franco. I only meant that as a representative of Tarptent, your solution to the majority of shelter questions usually involve a Tarptent offering. Nothing more than that…

Before any recommendations can really be made I think Timothy needs to give a bit more information.

Timothy Hopper
    Spectator

@tdhopper

The REI tent I looked at is 98″, but with slanted sides, I’m still really close to touching the ends (without a bag). Gen from Yama says he can extend a Cirriform for me. I’m waiting to hear a price quote.

Be nice to hear from Timothy if they prefer front or side entry. And how concerned they are about weight. And if they use poles.

Entry is flexible. I’d love to stay under 3 lbs if possible. I’m very open to pitching with trekking poles. Honestly, my options seem very limited; I’m flexible on the specifics.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Best of luck Hope we helped some.

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

LightHeart Duo.  It’s 100″ long and 55″ wide.  Weight = 2.5 lbs.

Timothy Hopper
    Spectator

@tdhopper

I’m worried the Duo has the same limitation as the REI tent: steeply sloped walls detract mean it’s not really 100″ long.

David L
    BPL Member

@family-guy-2-2

Given the slanted walls of the Lightheart Duo, on a 2.5″ NeoAir, the usable length would probably be closer to 80″.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

If the end walls are vertical and high enough to accommodate your mat you and the sleeping bag then it is all usable.

With slanted walls you can get a pretty good idea by making a simple mock up , something like this :

The above is the real size of a tent that was sold a few years ago, I am only 5’8″

Can’t remember the floor size but probably close to 90″.

(that is why I called that shot “lost in space”)

now contrast that with the Double Moment , yes the inner slopes outward :

from one of the 2 3D clips on the TT site.

Timothy Hopper
    Spectator

@tdhopper

I asked Gen at YAMA about lengthening his Cirriform shelters. He said

Yes, we’re happy to lengthen the Cirriform shelters. Keep in mind, however, that when we do so, no extra height is added; we simply stretch out the foot end of the shelter.

Anybody have a Cirriform and have an opinion on how well that’d work? He says I can return it if it doesn’t work out.

I asked ZPacks if they could do anything to modify their duplex. They said

We can’t do special design work for a one off.

The Triplex may work ok for you if you lay at a diagonal.

Oh well.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Do a simple string mock up like Franco shows above. It is such a simple shape.

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

How about a SMD Lunar Duo? It is 90″ but the walls on it are probably going to be the best fit, plus, adding the optional tie-outs will help even more.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

I can tell you right now, the SoLong 6 will not work for the OP.  With the OP’s height and the slant of the wall, if he uses a pad, he will have a very wet tent overhead on his face when he wakes up.

I’ll throw in another suggestion which borders on the 3lb weight but offers far better ventilation and space.  The Sierra Designs Lightning 2 FL.  I have one, and the weight penalty is totally worth it.  It’s extremely well ventilated and very spacious for me.  I changed out the stakes and trimmed some tags and have the tent at exactly 3lbs.  I’m 6’2″ and there is plenty of space on either end of me.  However, that extra 7 inches of body form really changes the dynamics of a tent.  Still, it’s worth checking out.  There is a YouTube video by a 6’3″ person that prompted me to buy one.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!