Topic

Current footwear you’d suggest for snowshoeing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Current footwear you’d suggest for snowshoeing?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Which currently available 200g insulated boots / shoes would you suggest for snowshoeing with a 18-35 lb pack?

I’ve had Keen Growlers I picked up years ago, worn with an overboot for extra warmth when needed. The Growlers are excellent, though my pair is a bit snug and they’re no longer available. They’re light, 200g insulation, supportive, low boots (tall winter boots tend to be much less comfortable and heavy) with synthetic leather which can last a long time. Anything similar out there now?

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

These are not synthetic leather but I’ve used the oboz Bridger 8” and against recommendations I apply snowseal. I’ve done five days in wetish  snow in the Porkies  and the leather never wet out. I brought some overboots incase and never used them

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Oboz also makes the Bridger in a 10″ 400g version. I’m pretty sure its a higher drop boot 8-15mm (surprisingly tough to find with a quick google search, but ive tried them on and can confirm the 8+ drop).

If that doesn’t bother you, I think its a solid boot. Better support/midsole than many of the lighter options and being closer to 30lbs may be a solid choice. If lighter, i would maybe consider different options..

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

I would have to agree with the Oboz. They are comfortable and keep my feet warm without being too bulky.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I don’t have a suggest, just wanted to morn the discontinuation of the Keen Growlers which happened years ago.  They were the last pair of boots I owned and I thought they hit just about a perfect balance for a winter boot.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

The best boot is the one you are most comfortable wearing.  For snowshoeing, suggest also a waterproof breathable gaiter.   Also suggest at least mid height for boot/shoe.  A gaiter alone will not keep ice and powder snow out of your boot.  But the gaiters are also good in warmer weather in scree and to block heat, especially if wearing shorts.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Mark I’m right there with you on the Keen Growler. It’s unbelievable how durable and warm it is for the low weight. The only issue for me is that my foot lengthened a bit from the time I got them to the point where I’d do better with a half-size or size up. One of Will Rietveld’s best recommendations on BPL, and he had many good ones. I’ve asked Keen to bring it back several times.

Sam I prefer low boots even for snowshoeing, worn with an overboot or tall gaiter as you recommended. I find low boots more comfortable, flexible and lighter on your feet than taller boots.

I’ve used the Forty Below TR Light Energy Overboot. They’re very warm. Only downside is that to keep them in camp without your snowshoes on, you need a traction device to wear under them that won’t tear into them (Forty Below has recommendations on their product page).

Mark do your 8 in. Oboz have a high drop?

Hope do you wear the tall or low Oboz? Do they have a very high drop?

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I prefer 400 gram Thinsulate (200 gm is not enough for my feet). I have the Vasque Snowburban II’s – super comfortable and warm.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Brad do you wear insulated overboots with your 400g boots? I’ve found wearing the TR Energy overboots over 200g insulated boots to be very warm. Without those overboots, I’d want 400g insulation for cold winter weather.

The advantage to 200g insulation + overboots is that I can layer – shed the overboot for warmer conditions and throw it on for colder. I found that very handy transitioning from sunny California daytime to much colder evenings (40’s F to 15F). The 200g insulation alone is great for cold temps that aren’t yet very cold.

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

@Ethan A.

Obozs are 8” and I’m not sure on the drop. For me (I live in Idaho where it gets cold) regular boots are great in the shoulder seasons. When I snowshoe I like to stop and make tea or coffee. My regular boots weren’t cutting it and my feet would freeze even when I was moving…that’s where the Oboz came in. Like I said not too bulky but keep my feet warm. Where I live it’s always below freezing but typically above zero. I’ve had my boots 2 winters and this coming winter will be number 3. They get worn once a week for a couple miles per trek. I wear the guy version of the shoe because my feet are wide.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools