Topic

Current Fly-first (or fly-with) Double Wall Freestanding 2 & 3P Tents?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Current Fly-first (or fly-with) Double Wall Freestanding 2 & 3P Tents?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Which makers/models of fly-first (or fly-goes-up-with) double wall 2 & 3P tents are out there? Some off the top of my head: Hilleberg, Tarptent, Big Sky International and Slingfin. Personally only interested in models that are 50 in. wide or wider for the full length of the tent. Love my trekking pole shelters, but would like to know about more freestanding fly-first options out there.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Is the Hubba Hubba fly first?  I had some of the same wants and was looking at this and the Slingfin Portal 2, which is not 50 at the foot end.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

By fly-first (or fly-with) I meant when you insert the poles into the fly tubes or fly-clips, the inner is already attached underneath and going up at the same time (the inner could also be detached and stored separately, to be attached inside after the fly is up).

Most mainstream double wall freestanding tents go up with the inner supported by the poles, and then the fly is draped over the poles and inner.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Yep. Understood the idea. Many tents will go up fly first with the vendor’s footprint, but I don’t know for sure if the MSR will do the same without that. If you were going to get the footprint anyway I’m pretty sure the Hubba Hubba meets your ask with 50” wide at both ends. It would be good to hear first hand experience. It’s certainly a popular model and they have a 3 person version.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Ideally what I’m looking for has:

-an inner attached to the fly that goes up with the fly.

-has a partially solid inner 1/2 to 3/4 running up from the ground with mesh at the the top, or full-solid inner with a mesh zip window or door behind the solid door.

-50 in. width or more for the full length of the tent

-stealth color fly – olive, coyote khaki, etc.

-2 doors

The Hubba Hubba has been around a long time, and is a decent tent, but I’m looking for an inner that will go up at the same time with the outer. I don’t use manufacturer footprints as they are heavy, only one of those flexible (not crinkly) emergency blankets that has a silver reflective layer on one side and orange on the other (seems to be a thick polycro material which lasts much longer than the thinnest polycro), which weighs only about 3-3.5 oz. Also have a tyvek footprint for a loner tent for friends and family.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’be got a Big Agnes Bird Beak SL2 that fits most of your criteria, except the fly is grey/orange. And you didn’t mention weight, but this tent is a tad over 4 pounds, a bit heavy for backpacking!

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Actually the Big Agnes Fly Creek and iterations has the option to keep the fly attached to the inner so it all goes up at once. . the solo tent is very light, and later iterations are lighter still. The original is really bomb proof. I’ve never used the two person.

https://www.rei.com/product/188353/big-agnes-fly-creek-hv-ul-2-solution-dyed-tent?sku=1883530001&CAWELAID=120217890011282180&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=109431034468&CATCI=pla-413065863986&cm_mmc=PLA_

edit: wow, the link displays a not very good looking tent according to some reviews. My old Fly Creek solo was great in wind and bombproof in rain. And the fly kept separated from the half solid inner exceptionally well. this sounds like another animal.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Two things to think about here are:

1) “Native” versus “Assisted” fly first pitch
    Most freestanding tents will tell you that they can pitch fly first, but it’s not a ‘native’ or easy thing to do so in the sense that you can’t just pop the poles into the fly and be done with it. Instead, you need additional components like a groundsheet or staking out the pole positions etc. It’s more hassle and harder to remember how to do it, so in bad weather you still default to the regular method.

Most freestanding tents are hexagon shaped but the poles only go to the 4 corners, so there is not straight line of material between all the pole positions. It’s the inner that prevents the poles from popping outwards, so if you pitch just the fly and poles the hexagon deforms into a rectangle and it doesn’t work without a groundsheet which you have to buy, carry, and remember how to use and even then it can have rain puddles on it by the time the fly is up. Ideally a tent would have the poles go to all the same corners as the fly does, so that the poles can define the fly shape without additional stakes or groundsheets needed.

2) One piece setup vs inner only
    Normally you have to choose between a tent that will set up as one piece or can set up inner only. If the poles are on the outside of the fly you can clip the inner to the fly and set it up as one piece (e.g. Hilleberg) but then often (but not always) you can’t pitch just the inner which is a nice option to have. If the poles are between the fly and inner, then you can pitch fly only or inner only, but probably not both together. So it tends to be a choice whether you want a tent that can do a combined pitch or an inner only pitch because you rarely can have both.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Kuiu, the lightweight hunting gear company has tents that look like they might go up fly first.

https://www.kuiu.com/collections/tents

Double walled tents that can be erected with the fly attached are common in Europe. You can buy European gear from Ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk located in the UK and Walkonthewildside.de located in Germany. I have had good luck have gear shipped to me from both of these shops.

Exped has some tent models that fly first are available from various USA on line gear sites such as Everestgear.com. REI has started carrying a couple of Exped models.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Dan

Yes most US tent manufacturers have what they call fast fly or fly only set up which almost always requires the poles to be inserted into the manufacturer’s tent footprint. I set up old my REI HalfDome 2 plus up that way many times in the past and my SlingFin Crossbow also supports such a configuration.

In contrast, my Hilleberg Atko can be set up fly only without the need of the footprint and it sets up with the fly attached without the need of any extra kit.

Although I have never seen the need for it, I think my Atko can also be set up with just the inner tent if I buy some extra clips from Hilleberg.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

The 3f UL Gear Taiji 2 w/ the optional full season inner ticks all your boxes.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Alex thanks for pointing out that Taiji 2. I didn’t know of this tent and it sure gives you a lot for the price and weight. That consistent +50 in. width is really nice. And it comes with a solid inner option (though out of stock now). Of course this isn’t a true 4 season tent capable of handling higher winds and snow loading – it doesn’t have strong enough fabric and poles for that – but it looks fine for 3 season use. Similar pole layout to BA Copper Spur HV UL2 (two crossing poles with a brow pole), but offers much more width. Also has a quiet color, even if not quite coyote brown (the fly appears to be different colors in different photos but I think I have a sense of the true color).

There’s also a Nature Hike Cloud Peak 2 which is essentially a Hilleberg Allak 2 clone, again without 4-season poles and fabric, but looks fine for 3 season. Has a stronger pole structure than the Taiji 2 and also has a fabric inner, but it’s narrower than the Taiji 2. Some folks have made mods to improve the strength including ordering stouter poles, but you’ll still have the Cloud Peak 2 20d fabric that isn’t made for 4 season use.

For 3 season use they should be fine options.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools