Topic

Cuben Gatewood Cape?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cuben Gatewood Cape?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Winston W
    BPL Member

@winstwi-2

Anyone know when the cuben fiber gatewood cape is coming out?

I think it would be awesome. Saw that zpacks just came out with storm door version of the hexamid tarp.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

In Ron’s last post on BPL more than 4 years ago, he says he’ll have a cuben Gatewood available soon. lol. Maybe you’ve heard something about it recently. but I’m not aware of anything. I’ll believe it when I see it.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/101069/#post-2190160

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The current version of the Cape, in silnylon,  is 10 oz, $135.

not sure that a DCF version would be more than 1-2 oz lighter.

Winston W
    BPL Member

@winstwi-2

I think the hardware is about 1oz, prob 0.9 silnylon vs 0.51 Cuben, so that would put it at about 6.0 to 6.5oz is my guess.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I’ve never known Ron at SMD to ever use .51 DCF on anything, always .74. Also, the average weight of 15d silnylons is about 1.05. In the link I posted, Ron says that a DCF Gatewood Cape would come in at around 7 oz.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I would prefer a 0.74 or even a 1.0 ounce DCF cape just for improve performance, not for any weight savings.  I have a Zpacks poncho and the stiffness of the material is great, keeps the fabric from clinging to your skin, doesn’t absorb any water, less likely to snag.  As a shelter it wouldn’t sag when pitched.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The somewhat similar, but I think somewhat smaller,  Deshutes Zero G (DCF) is 8 oz.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

I like Paul’s logic on this–improved performance and less water absorption.

I’ve been thinking about trying to make one (slightly larger than my 2007 Gatewood)….using the 0.74 DCF, and taping rather than sewing.    This would be a  pricey mistake though if it didn’t work out.

Daniel B
    BPL Member

@zauric

@ Franco, the Deshutes zero – g is larger than the gatewood cape.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Ah, I see. I had based my guess on that wrong assumption  (that the Gatewood used more fabric) .

Joshua E
    BPL Member

@drjosh

Well, I waited a while hoping to see a DCF gatewood happen, but finally gave up and ordered a silnylon one this week. So that means it’ll probably come out next week. lol

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

You will love it!!  I prefer the silnylon over DCF. It packs much smaller and think of all the money you saved.. For other needed gear!! 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools