Topic

CT Section Hike Summer 2019

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists CT Section Hike Summer 2019

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    James Montavon
    BPL Member

@ct_jmonty-2

Hey y’all,

I have done plenty of little backpacking trips, and have lots of experience with big, giant, dumb heavy packs (thanks, Marine Corps infantry!) I would love a critique of my gear list and/or any suggestions to help fill in the remaining question marks. I plan on doing combinations of 2-3 day trips and a few 5 or even 10 day trips near the end.

https://lighterpack.com/r/61f9k4

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

You might want to take a look at Andrew Skurka’s core 13 clothing list on his website. As part of the overall list and suggestions is a specific set of lists for the CT.

James Montavon
    BPL Member

@ct_jmonty-2

Thanks! Lots of well thought out info there, much appreciated

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Lots of smart choices there. ¬†The Big 3 look good, except maybe that 16 ounce sleeping pad. ¬†It appears to be OV’s ¬†22″-17″x72″ tapered mummy pad at 16 ounces. ¬†If you can accept a 48″ length (and put your pack under your feet), there are 8 to 10 ounce options. ¬†I’d be torn, myself. ¬†I’ll often do that on a weekend summer trip, but for a 10-day trip, you want to sleep well every night.

Super low-hanging fruit: leave the 4.4 ounce stove for car camping and get a $15, 0.9-ounce BRS-3000T.  Only $4 per ounce saved!

Consider a bamboo spoon. ¬†For $1. ¬†Sometimes can be found at Safeway. ¬† It will only save a gram or two, but they’re stronger and some people prefer the feel in their mouth.

Instead of the 1.9 ounce headlamp, I’ve been liking the 10-gram = .35 ounces, ¬†$10 NiteCore Tube. ¬†1 lumen (for over 60 hours) which is what I hike with or 55 lumens for occasional route-finding. ¬†Rechargeable so you always start a trip with it fully charged. ¬†Lights for hiking belong in your hand, not on your head, so you can see bumps and dips in the trail, IMNSHO. ¬†I’d want a lot more (lumens and spot function) for off trail, but for improved trails, it’s enough for me. ¬†I assume you mean Summer *2020* which means long days, lots of light and not a lot of night hiking.

Having skinned and butchered a bear with a 1-inch blade, I argue you don’t need anything more knife than a 0.74-ounce Victorinox Classic. ¬†And it has scissors which can trim bandages, tape and open packages with FAR less risk of injury. ¬†2.9 ounces less 0.74 ounce is over 2 ounces saved for $5 (for a TSA seized one) or $16 new.

FAK at 5 ounces seems heavy to me.  Especially for week-long trips on an established trail.  A few bandaids, a little foot care stuff and some pills in a pint Zip-lock = 2-3 ounces.  Skills > gear when first aid is needed.

Mini Bic lighter to light the stove? ¬†That’s about the only thing I’ll take an extra of because it’s 1) far better than rubbing two Boy Scouts together, 2) a light source, 3) can help repair gear, and 4) emergency gear if you need a warming fire.

Tiny fire starter? ¬†Like 6″ x 6″ of wax paper.

Lip balm?

Sun screen?

Sun hat / Sunbrella? ¬†Lots of UV up there. ¬†I’m going in Tuesday for a little “weight-loss surgery” as I like to call having another basal-cell skin cancer (#8) carved off. ¬†I feel 10-15F cooler under a Chrome Dome at 9,000 feet in the Sierra.

Repair kit? (an ounce total of heavy sewing needle and heavy thread, Tenacious Tape, 2 safety pins, 20 feet of 100-pound-test Dacron line).  The tape can be stored on your water bottle or trekking poles (replace it each year!).

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Check on GutHooks or wherever regarding each section, but is 1 liter water-carrying capacity enough? ¬†I “camel up”, a lot, but my wife is a sipper and therefore needs another liter along.

Cotton bandana?  Snot rag, sun protection, arm sling, pee rag, face mask, ankle splint, etc.  $1 at Walmart.

6 ounces for a Toaks Ti cup/pot seems like a lot. ¬†I’m seeing 3.6 ounces for a 750-ml pot and lid and that’s plenty for one person. ¬†There’s a 1.9-ounce, 550-ml one that still fits a 100-gram canister inside.

Fuel weight?  It will vary by trip length, but you ought to account for it (and not leave it at home).  Some of us refill 100-gram canisters partway for each trip based on how many people-nights are needed.  The $17 refilling valve pays for itself over time by buying 16-ounce / 450-gram canisters and refilling the 100-gram canisters at home and also because you can scavenge the last fuel from mostly used canisters (by cooling the receiving canister and heating the donor canister).

For a longer thru hikes, especially on the AT, I’ve debated if bringing a transfer valve would ultimately save pound-miles by being able to scavenge fuel from partially used canisters left in hiker boxes. ¬†It certainly would save money and perhaps give one the luxury of a hot shower that night.

James Montavon
    BPL Member

@ct_jmonty-2

Thanks so much for your help…yes, I mean 2020, the time machine is too heavy for this trip.

• I put the shipping weight for my pot, which after fishing it out is actually a snow peaks anyways. You’re right, it’s 2.8 oz
    • I have forgotten lip balm before in the mojave and paid the price, definitely will pack a small stick
    • FAK is a rough estimate, I wanted to overestimate first. I will assemble it and weigh it. Hopefully you’re right, I don’t plan on bringing anything crazy
    • Good point about summer hiking not needing lots of light, I’ll check out that nitecore
    • My hip always seems to dig into the ground…when car camping I use a closed cell foam underneath my inflatable pad. I think I am ok with a couple extra ounces here as a conscious choice
    • Did you really skin a bear with a one inch blade?
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Yeah, it’s hanging in Manfred’s house now in California where other BPLer’s have seen it. I brought black bear pastrami to GGG-8. Versus the caribou pastrami and breakfast sausage at GGG-X.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools