Topic

Crystal Range traverse in Desolation Wilderness?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Crystal Range traverse in Desolation Wilderness?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David P
    BPL Member

@jasperprice

Has anyone done this route from Red Peak stock trail (accessing Reds from the trail) to Tells peak? I’ve done the southern three: Price, Agassiz and Pyramid and plan to finish my trip heading north along the ridge/ I cannot find any reports getting to the ridge from there–not a rock climber but I’m pretty agile and resourceful. I’m planning a loop from Loon lake south to Clyde and back over the Crystal Ridge.  Thanks for any info

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I’ve been up on Tells Peak starting at Van Vleck TH (on trail till Forni Lake). I explored the ridge from Tells to McConnell Peak, all good, and gazed southeast towards Red Peak, which looks very doable. I dropped down to Highland Lake to camp for the night and explored the general area the next morning. I have a few photos uploaded to share, but I’ll need to go back to my HD to see if I can find additional shots that may be useful.

Dropping down from Tells Peak and heading east down to Highland Lake.

From the western shore of Highland Lake looking west-southwest towards the ridge.

Looking out over Highland Lake (south) towards McConnell Peak.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

If you’re browsing this thread, be aware that the Crystal Range Traverse isn’t a trail—it’s  just a suggested route across rough terrain. It showed up on Open Street Map a several months ago. It has worked its way into maps shown on several smartphone apps and may look like a real Forest Service trail. But it’s not. Be careful if you try to hike it.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

^^Correct! Thank your adding that caution. I wasn’t aware of the OSM route and I hope travelers do their due diligence researching any trips rather than blindly following a digital track.

The traverse is xcountry travel that, at times, can easily push into class 3 terrain. There are use trails leading to and from the major peaks, but that’s about it. Wonderful area with beautiful views, if you’re capable and up for the challenge.

David P
    BPL Member

@jasperprice

Thanks for the info and pics–I’m aware that this will be an off trail route–but not too extreme. I planned to make it last year but the Pandemic….and fires….  I’m up to the challenge (looking forward to it) and I’m also marking several bailout points if it becomes too tricky. I’m heading to Desolation next week and will enter a new post if I make it or not.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools