Topic

Cross Creek to Fall Creek – Holy Cross Wilderness CO

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Cross Creek to Fall Creek – Holy Cross Wilderness CO

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Skibbs
    Spectator

@skibbs

Locale: Conifer, CO

I want to do this loop this summer, does anyone know what the traffic is like on the road from cross creek trailhead to fall creek trailhead?  I would like to cut out the 6.5 mile trek between the trailheads by hitching a ride (hopefully).  If there is a low probability, is there a good place to stash a pack at fall creek trailhead while I park at cross creek trailhead and make the trek up?  Thanks.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

On weekends in the summer there will be a lot of traffic depending on your timing due to people climbing Mt. of the Holy Cross.  Just plan your timing to arrive at the Cross Creek Trailhead by 6am on a Saturday or Sunday and you will have plenty of hitch opportunities.

Skibbs
    Spectator

@skibbs

Thanks Randy!

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

As Randy posted, weekends are best.  But you may have pretty good luck hitching during the week as well.  Last summer, I started a trip on a Thursday morning and found the parking lot at Fall Creek more than half full.

Skibbs
    Spectator

@skibbs

Thanks for the replies.  I did not see any mention of food requirements for the area on the website – any insight?  It looks like there is plenty of opportunities for a hang looking at satellite imagery though.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

There are no specific requirements in the HCW so hanging is an option.  There are easier and better ways to protect food though.  Here is a good article to read from Andrew Skurka on the subject  https://andrewskurka.com/2018/tutorial-food-storage-protection-methods-bears-rodents/

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Both times I hiked this loop, I just hung my food, with no incident.  Since then I bought an Ursack for a trip to the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness, which now requires you to use a IGBC approved container.   The Ursack turned out to be so fast and easy to use, I now use it for all my trips in bear country.  For me, the minor hit to my base weight is well worth not having to mess around with a bear hang at the end of a long day.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools