Topic

“Critical Error” When Trying to Post on Gear Swap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website Bug Reports “Critical Error” When Trying to Post on Gear Swap

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

I was trying to post something to Gear Swap with a bunch of photos, and got a WordPress “Critical Error” messages.  I succeeded in getting the post to work by posting with fewer photos initially, and then editing to add photos incrementally.

Looks like some redundant posts for a Seek Outside tipi ended up in the Gear Swap, showing no photos, listing type, price, or listing owner.  Sorry, and feel free to delete them!

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

I just dropped into BPL for the first time in a while, trying to list a few bits of gear for sale, and ran into the same error. The first time I tried to post to the Gear Swap I ended up at BPL’s version of a 404 page – something like We led you off trail or whatever. I checked Gear Swap to make sure my listing hadn’t been created anyway – it hadn’t – and backed up the browser to try again.

That second time, I ended up at a Critical Error screen, same as what you’ve described, Ben.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Well, turns out that despite the ‘Critical Error’, my posting got saved and listed anyway:

https://backpackinglight.com/gear-swaps/fs-msr-wind-pro-2-barely-used/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

… But no photos survived the saving. So I guess I’ll take Brandon’s approach and add photos incrementally now.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Sorry for the multiple replies here, but actually … this is worse than no posting at all.

Now my Gear Swap post is listed as Closed and I am unable to edit it further. There is no price, no images, no post author (hi, it’s me 👋🏻) and meanwhile the My Content section of my forum profile shows no Gear Swap postings.

I’d appreciate some help getting this cleaned up please 🙏🏼

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

To both of you: please submit a support issue on this by sending an email to [email protected]. Include a link to the corrupted listing, and attach all of the exact image files you tried to upload to the listing.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

We think this error is related to posting multiple large images in a listing. For now, we have limited a gear swap listing to one main image, as a test to see if this resolves this particular issue whereby a listing becomes accidentally corrupted.

So please feel free to try to break it from here, and we’ll see what happens 😎

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I got the same error, when posting my GC trip report. I think there are now three versions of it.  Two with ‘Critical Error” that resulted in a trip report with no photos and no ‘by’ that were caused by trying to upload more than 1 photo. To get it done I needed to create a tip report without photos and edit my trip report 42 times to upload each of the 42 photos individually. Exhausting! A fix for this would be highly appreciated. Btw. having all the photos bunched together in a ‘photo gallery’ doesn’t do trip reports justice – please enable ‘insert image’ within the text for trip reports.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

For what it’s worth, I’m able to reproduce 2 flavors of this problem:

1. When creating a new Gear Swap post from scratch, and attaching too many / too large images, I can elicit a Critical Error which has already been discussed.
    2. If I’ve already created a Gear Swap post and I’m adding images to it (too many / too large) then this situation results in a 502 Bad Gateway response.

Because I’m a software engineer and that gives me the mistaken impression that I can be the hero here 😄 I did a bit of googling. You guys are on WordPress, I believe? You might take a look at this:

https://xomisse.com/blog/fix-http-error/

… And particularly solution #7 regarding the memory limit.

Obviously I have no idea if you’ve already tried this before, or have other plugins that may be impacting the image upload. But if it comes down to total file size in the images that users are attempting to attach to posts, this memory limit seems like a reasonable first culprit.

For whatever it’s worth!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools