Topic

Crabtree Lakes Loop Planning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Crabtree Lakes Loop Planning

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Miles Brandman
    Spectator

@miles-b

Planning a four day hike in late June – Cottonwood Pass to Miter Basin, over Crabtree Pass, down through Crabtree Lakes to Crabtree Meadow, connect with JMT again and return to Cottonwood via Guyot Pass / Rock Creek.

I’m a little concerned about conditions on Crabtree Pass and wondering how much time I should reserve to get over and down to the lakes trail above the meadow.

Has anyone done this trip and have any advice?

Thanks!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Depends on the conditions… I would bet there is snow and/or ice.

if it’s firm you can make good time with crampons and ice axe

if it’s soft, then post-holing will take a LOT of time and energy.

billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

and, of course you conditioning…

conditioning + conditions unknown = time unknowable

But I suggest you start early

Kiel Senninger
    BPL Member

@kiel-s

Locale: San Diego

Went up to Crabtree pass through Miter Basin in September of 2013. Route finding was challenging getting from Sky Blue Lake up to the pass. The north/west side of Crabtree pass was very shady in mid morning, I suspect it stays that way most of the day. So +1 to Billy Ray’s guess of snow/ice in the pass, not mention MIter Basin itself.

Here’s my report from then: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/81967/

I remember finding some good beta on getting from Sky Blue Lake to Crabtree Pass through some internet searches.You can try to get to lake 3697m below Crabtree Pass directly from Sky Blue Lake via a ramp/ledge maze or heading a bit west from Sky Blue Lake via another maze that doesn’t involve as steep ramps and ledges.

Let us know how it goes with some ice and snow!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

All you guys and your ‘beta’…

Just go and use a topo… not hard to find… use your map reading skills…

internet beta just reduces your adventure and robs you of route finding skills..

I thought it was easy to find in the opposite direction.

billy

Miles Brandman
    Spectator

@miles-b

thanks for the replies!

we’re conditioned and have been through miter later in the season when snow free, but good to know there’s snow and ice on the pass through late june. seems like that downhill into upper crabtree in ice will be hairy. will give more time and bring gear for it, sounds like a slog though

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I was in there in August years ago. I don’t remember if it was a big snow year, but there was a steep hard snow slop that ran out into the open water of the lake on the Crab Tree side… Got my attention as I don’t care for swimming in 32F water… :)  That was mid to late August.

billy

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Perhaps a useful survey, especially knowing that it is expected to have a few more inches fall with the current system.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/COURSES

Miles Brandman
    Spectator

@miles-b

This is great @lori999, thanks so much.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools