Topic

CR123 Headlamp/flashlights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CR123 Headlamp/flashlights

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi all,

Anyone using  cr123 batteries and can recommend a head torch/flash lights?

Asking as have a lod of surplus cr123’s at home that I am looking to find a use for.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hey Stephen,

I have an older Zebralight you can have, just pay shipping. I don’t know which one it is, but it was my go-to headlamp for a few years. Works fine, nothing wrong with it. It takes CR123s.

Doug

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Doug,

That’s so nice of you, I really appreciate it. I will put a PIF.

Will drop you a pm.

Cheers,

Stephen

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I was going to recommend Zebralight, if you can afford it.  :)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

This doesn’t apply to BPL but I LOVE my Fenix PD35.  Its a two CR123 flashlight.  960lm I think.  5 settings, tac strobe, tough…blah blah blah

I worked at a sporting good store that sold a fair amount of lights and these are sweet when compared to most IMO, for a “plain ol flashlight’ that can light em up when needed.  We sold tons of them and never* had a return.  (OK we sold hundreds of Fenix lights over 6 years and the only returns I remember were for a bad batch of TK35s… they got replaced, and that was it for problems)

Here is the PD35

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’m a big Fenix fan. I have the PD35, and the PD32. I take the PD32 backpacking. The PD35 is for home use.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I was looking for a small <1-2oz one also. Everything I see is much heavier than that. I have a few “used” batteries from my Steripen Opti. Because they still have a little power left in them (the Steripen requires a lot of power to initially start the UV bulb,) I was hoping to use them in a light. My old Impulse takes pair of 2016 (or with rather permanent mods a pair of 2032) at about 1oz including a spare set of batteries (2016.) I can afford a 1oz penalty if I can use the 123’s because I can drop the Impulse and spares. I carry a spare set of 123’s on any trip I take (unless it is just for 2-3 nights over a weekend.) If it has a clip for my hat or reversible pocket clip, I could also drop my E+light, used for emergency hiking after dark or when I need a light a little more intense than the Impulse – like route planning on a map.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

There’s a new Olight.

https://olightworld.com/store/flashlight/headlamps/h1r-nova.html

1.8 oz for the light and battery – not sure about the headband

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

for those folks using dual CR123 lamps … be VERY careful

the bats need to be matched in voltage … you cant just take any old bats and mix em up …

if one of the bats has a significantly lower voltage you get a “reverse charging” effect and the thing can go KABOOM in a metal casing

theres been some pretty nasty injuries from folks who found that the hard way

;)

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

I agree with Eric. Mixing batteries, especially high capacity cr123, is not a good idea. Even replacing one cell in a two cell system can create heat problems. Always replace them in pairs.

I have found several light cr123 lights using a single cell. All were very expensive…$45-$109. I am cheap and will not spend more than $20 on a flash light. I think Wally World had one a couple weeks ago for $19. (waterproof, regulated, 4 settings.) I may go for it. It lacks the light power of the Fenix PD25, though.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I love my Fenix HL50 headlamp.  It takes a single CR123 and, including battery and strap, weighs 2.8 ounces.  I used to carry an e+lite (as a headlamp) as well as either a Fenix PD25 (single CR123) or an LD01 (AAA) for “spotting” work but the HL50 does both well.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Thanks, Kevin.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks all for posting & to Doug for sending on a head torch :-)

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I am using a 4-seven mini quark to get the most of my spent Steripen cells.  It is less than an ounce without battery, 200 lumins out the front, and has been very reliable.  With voltage regulating it works with cells down to .9 volts.  Once the Steripen is done with cr123’s they are still at or near 3 volts and continue to work well for quite some time in the Mini Quark.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Yeah, I saw that one but it doesn’t have a clip and the IPX rating for waterproof is very ambiguous, described as “continual immersion within manufacturers specifications.” It really doesn’t say what that means. Also the price is well over $40. Again, not within my budget of $20. But it looks OK otherwise. Thanks, John.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools