Topic

CPAP for backcountry.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CPAP for backcountry.

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Essential oils

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

It turns out my apnea is mostly positional–I tuck my chin and so block my airway that way. So a neck brace works very well. It stops my chin tuck. For those who want to use nasal pillows but are mouth breathers, the neck brace has the added benefit of keeping your mouth closed while sleeping.

This is worth experimenting with at home for backpackers. A neck brace is very light. If it improves your sleep–bring it along on a hike.

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

If you are suffering from sleep apnea, it is important that you seek medical advice. If it gets severe enough, it may need to be treated with airway pressure devices (CPAP) that help keep your airways open. More moderate forms of sleep apnea can be eased with lifestyle changes as simple as quitting smoking, limiting alcohol and losing weight.

It is also possible to treat your condition at home by using certain essential oils. A little-known treatment, but many essential oils are used effectively to deal with sleep complaints ranging from nervous insomnia to snoring. Certain essential oils have also been proven to relieve obstructive sleep apnea. Essential oils are safe and easy to use and the following oils have been used with a deal of success in treating sleep apnea as well as other sleep conditions.

Marjoram. Marjoram essential oil is a warm, comforting oil with sedative properties that help induce sleep and a popular home treatment for sleep conditions like sleep apnea. Rub a few drops of marjoram oil into the soles of the feet and the underside of your toes. Alternatively, it can be diffused near the bed while you sleep.

Lavender. It’s a classic scent used to relax. Try massaging a few drops of this gentle acting oil into your feet, neck and chest before bedtime to ensure a disruption free sleep. Lavender oil is very popular because of its diverse therapeutic abilities and many people have found that lavender oil can ease the disruptions caused by sleep apnea and snoring as well as helping people overcomes insomnia.

Peppermint. Not just a delicious flavor, peppermint will be ideal if your sleep apnea is caused by nasal congestion. Peppermint essential oil can help relieve the inflammation and irritation in the lining of your nasal passage. Massage a drop of peppermint oil under each nostril before bedtime or inhale the vapors from a facial steam bath. Alternatively, you can add a drop or two to a glass of water and gargle it each night before bed being very careful not to ingest any of the mixture.

Eucalyptus. Similar to peppermint, eucalyptus essential oil is an effective treatment for sleep apnea caused by congestion. Its anti-inflammatory properties will clear up mucus from the nose and throat leaving your airways clear for easier breathing through the night. Dilute the eucalyptus oil in a carrier oil and then dab a drop or two beneath each nostril before hitting the sack. It takes a little more effort but many people recommend steam inhalation as the most effective way to employ eucalyptus oil for sleep apnea.

Roman Chamomile. Roman chamomile aids relaxation and promotes sound sleep. It also treats problems with the central nervous system and can be especially useful for those suffering with central sleep apnea.

Thyme. Thyme essential oil is another natural remedy that comes highly recommended for sleep apnea and for snoring. It is extensively used to treat respiratory conditions and can help free up the blocked airways that may cause apnea. If applied topically, be sure to dilute it first in a suitable carrier oil. Alternatively, you can diffuse the oil near your bed as well.

Geranium. Geranium essential oil is widely used to promote calm and good sleep. Massaging a few drops of geranium oil into your chest, neck and feet before bed is an excellent remedy for sleep disruptions caused by sleep apnea. Be sure to dilute geranium oil before applying it topically.

Valerian. Valerian root has been used for centuries to calm the nerves. People with sleep apnea and other sleeping disorders can benefit from using this soothing essential oil before bed and during the night.

Lemon. Lemon oil was part of a researched oil mixture that helped reduce snoring. The mixture of Thyme, Lavender, Lemon and Peppermint reduced snoring up to 82%. While the research was done on snoring it may also be beneficial for sleep apnea

Joshua B
    BPL Member

@leukos

Locale: Indy

My issue is an underbite that keeps my jaw from being aligned while I sleep.  I also grind my teeth while I sleep.  I sleep with this moldable sports mouth guard that keeps my jaw aligned and allows air to freely pass through my teeth while also preventing the grinding. Very easy to bring along while backpacking.

dmorgan
    BPL Member

@dsigismund-2

I recently bought a portable cpap machine that I will use for backpacking and general travel – the resmed air mini (10.6 oz). Like other modern, portable cpap machines (breas Z2), it adjusts automatically for altitude. However, its only been offically tested for altitudes up to 8,500 ft (this is a similar figure for other devices).

Does anyone have experience using a cpap machine higher than say 10K ft? My guess is that it’ll work ok, but might need to be adjusted to a higher pressure range than usual to offset the low ambient air pressure. I have trips planned to the High Sierra that could take me to the 11k ft range when camping/sleeping.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

dmorgan: for me, the real problem with the air mini is its battery life. One and half nights isn’t worth it, to me, and a backup battery is way too heavy. but let us know! I think ANY cpap is better than nothing, so don’t let altitude discourage you. Wish I had more direct experience to respond.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ dmorgan.  Talk to your healthcare provider.

When backpacking, like jscott, I have not been willing to carry the weight for 1.5 nights. But I have used my CPAP for car camping relatively high elevations such as at Highlands Lake in the Stanislaus NF at just under 9K.

I always thought the CPAP is supposed to provide pressure greater than the ambient air pressure so it seems like the machine would give some relief at 10 or 11K but perhaps not what you get at sea level.

dmorgan
    BPL Member

@dsigismund-2

@jscott @bruce tolley yeah, i can understand the reluctance to carry all that weight in return for 1.5 nights. my set up weighs about 30z for 1.5-2 nights (talentcell battery) and 45oz for 3-4 nights max. it does seeem silly, but its worth it for me to have the peace of mind if i get a particularly rough night of apnea (at least for the 30z setup). Perhaps I need to go to the backpackingheavy dot com forum now haha.

Good to hear that it worked for you at Highlands Lake. I’m going to talk to my doc to see if anything needs to be adjusted and test it at an 11K car campsite.

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools