Topic

Couldn't help myself – Bought Clearance Snowshoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Couldn't help myself – Bought Clearance Snowshoes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I admit to a guilty impulse buy.    I’ve never even snowshoed but ever since the white has started flying I’ve thought it would be a good addition to my winter hiking gear.

From you experienced snow walkers.    Am I going to wish I had found something different?

MSR Denali Ascents are the flavor.  Wtih pack I’m about 200 lb. so I should probably go ahead and buy the extensions but I’m mostly in Cascade Crud and most snow walking is the result of running out of trail.

http://www.wildernessx.com/denali-ascent-smu-2016.html

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

My buddy uses them in Oregon.  He goes everywhere I go in my Lightning ascents.

He is a bean pole though, so being 200lbs and in WA I would say get the tails.  They dont weigh much.  Personally I think the Lightning rides better.  Also I think that the Ascent binding is a PITA but it works.  I keep my boots a bit looser (not loose) and use the bindings to hold the whole thing tight to my foot.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Washington snow is very wet and heavy so you don’t need as much floatation in my experience. I’ve gone well over the weight rating on my snow shoes.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

For the first few years we did snow trips, the Denali Ascents were the models we rented.  Pretty sturdy and worked well.  In the Sierra I found the tails were often unneeded.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Good…good.   They will get used a couple times a year.   I’m thinking of buying the tails but I might put it off until I actually use them around here.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

I believe the Denali Ascents were the predecessor to the Evo Ascents (I have the interim model–the Evo Denali Ascents). The televator heel bar is great on steep terrain. One distinct advantage these snowshoes have over the Lightning Ascents is for winter bushwhacking. Vegetation gets stuck between the decking and the metal rim on the Lightning Ascents that can trip you up. But since the ones you have are a molded unibody design, that doesn’t happen. Great snowshoes.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

i have the Evo Denali Ascents too. Great grip on the ascents/descents! They ‘walk’ better without the tails, imo. but the tails are worth it in fresh powder. In the Sierra I mostly don’t use them: I’ll be using skis instead in fresh snow fall.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’ve seen photos of our US Marine Expeditionary Force using them in an exercise in Norway. Must mean they are “Marine proof”. ;o)

I have the original Lightning Ascent ‘shoes with add-on tails. They work well.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Good enough for the Marines good enough for me!

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Ok…. I totally love these things.   Why I waited this long to buy snowshoes is beyond me.    Spent the day thrashing through places I could never reach due to brush, timber and general off-trail madness.

Next on the list is a good snow shovel and I’ll tote a saw to make some snow caves.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools