Topic

Cotopaxi Sombra or other favorite Sun Hoodie?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cotopaxi Sombra or other favorite Sun Hoodie?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Has anyone used the Cotopaxi Sombra Sun Hoodie or can they recommend another sun hoodie?

I like the fact that it is nylon which i find to be usually less prone to getting stinky quickly, but I’m also concerned about if it it is breathable enough like the polyester options.  I love the OR echo, but i find that with long days of base camp flyfishing at 9000 + feet, it does not offer my super pale skin enough sun protection (15 when it is new in light colors) and i sometimes tan in it which means to me that it is not enough protection for me.

I’m also considering the Mountain Hardware Crater Lake and REI Sahara which i have never used.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I just got the Sierra Designs Alpine Start hoodie and I like it, although it’s thicker and warmer than the Echo. I also really like my Kuiu Gila sun hoodie.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

cotopaxi fabric: Knit portions: recycled polyester; stretch-woven portions: 85% nylon/15% spandex (148 g)

The only part mentioned made of stretch woven nylon is the useless invisible pocket on the back?

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

I have the Sombra. I like it. Loose fitting, the sleeves cover the entire back of my hand when using the thumb holes. Relatively light at 7 oz for XXL. I’ve used it in 85-90 degree heat while hiking. I like that it doesn’t stick to my skin when I am sweating a lot.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I currently use the REI Sahara and really like it.  At 7.5 oz for men’s size M, it’s not particularly light but it’s breathable and very comfortable and has a UPF rating of 50+.  Being mostly polyester, it does stink after a while if you’re working up a sweat but it’s not as bad as some of my other base layers,

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

I was skeptical of the pricier sun hollies. I recently replaced my Amazon one with the Outdoor Vitals Altitude. It’s unreal how light, breathable, and comfortable it is. I like it so much I bought a second one last night.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools