Topic

Costco Rain Jacket $19.95

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Costco Rain Jacket $19.95

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

My wife bought a $19.95 32 degree Cool rain jacket at Costco in Seattle.  Wow.  Weighs about 8.5 ounces in women’s small.  Fine workmanship.  Three zip pockets.  Taped seams.  Stretches.  Couldn’t buy the materials for this price.

Hasn’t used it so no feedback on performance for you.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Do you need to be a $55 member to order from Costco?

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Only if it says members only on the item. It won’t show the price either in that case.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Got it.

Thanks.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That looks great Daryl Squared.  How’s the DWR?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

IAN

Says it is waterproof breathable.  Breathable doesn’t work for me because I sweat so much but I have walked a total of about 1 hour in light rain with it and it has stayed dry inside.  Your mileage may vary.

Coat was shipped here from somewhere then shipped to my house and Costco must take a good profit bite out of the sales price.  Does this put the original wholesale price in the $5-10 range?  Seems impossible.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Daryl, thank you for the heads up on these. My wife and I were just looking for a light rain jacket which could work well for around town use and also do double duty.

What size is yours and what’s the weight?

What’s the men’s and women’s sizing like? What sizes are you guys and which size do you wear (see your wife got the Small)? How much room do your sizes leave for layering underneath?

We’re overseas right now so ordering multiple sizes and returning is logistically difficult and expensive. If we were home we’d just order multiple sizes and return ones that don’t fit.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks Daryl.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Ian,

I forgot to add that the water beads up and runs off the surface like rain on broccoli leaves.  So far the fabric doesn’t wet out but I’m only talking about 1 hour of light rain.

I’ll assume your thanks from above applies to this added info as well as my previous post so there is no need for you to thank me again.  We are both important and busy people and I don’t want to waste your or my time with needless correspondence.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks Daryl.

I’m pretty sure Broccoli DWR has been trademarked by Veggie Tales Technical Tactical Outerwear and I’d hate to see anyone spanked for misuse of the term.

My Marmot Precip wetted out at this last summer’s PNW/GGG and I’ve since adopted DWR as a requirement.  I can’t just go all crazy spending $20 on rain jackets without it.

BTW I don’t want to make you jealous but you missed a lovely weekend spent standing in the rain and it wasn’t the same without you.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Costco Customer Service sent these measurements below. Hope they are helpful for anyone else not near a Costco store.

Daryl how is the fit for you and your wife? Are they true to size?

“After reaching out to our buying staff, they have provided the below information.

Men’s Chest Measurements in inches:

M= 46 | L= 49 | XL= 52 | XXL= 55

Ladies’ Chest Measurements in inches:
    S= 39 1/4 | M= 41 1/4 | L= 44 1/4 | XL= 47 1/4 | XXL= 50 1/4”

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Ethan,

My men’s large weighs 12.5 ounces.  That’s more than I would have guessed, based upon my wife’s coat weight.

It fits snugly on me rather than baggy.  The stretch fabric allows it to move with me, however, so it doesn’t feel restrictive over my fiber fill coat.

I usually buy rain gear in the largest size possible, however, so I’ve ordered another one in the xl size to see what its like..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools