Topic

Cost to save an ounce

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

What would you pay to save an ounce?

I have my gear for the shoulder seasons down to just under 7.5lbs. I am looking at picking up a new quilt that puts me just under that number. The difference from 800 to 950 down is 1.25oz and $65 bucks. It’s about a 7% reduction in overall weight for that $65 on that piece of gear. Besides saving 1 ounce, is 950 down that much better then 800 in general? Finding it hard to pull the trigger one way or another. Appreciate any input.

Jerry A
    BPL Member

@gradymaci

No it is not worth the price.When it get’s cold, wear more clothes. I wear a Base layer and you probably going to have it on or will when you wake up..

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

“…is 950 down that much better then 800 in general?”  Good question!

Has any independent agency measured a loft difference between 800 and 950 down using the same methodology under the same conditions?

Pictures, or it didn’t happen.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

recent thread – 950 down loses loft more when damp so maybe not much better than 800

good question though, how much does it cost to save an ounce

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

My particular conundrum was just an example of what I am up against to decide. The more research I do the less likely I am to pay for that upgrade.

I would like to know if others have a sweet spot for savings? Perhaps your last purchase of an upgraded item hit your sweet spot. Would love to here about it.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

Most of the upgrades I look at seem to fall in the $10-15 per oz saved.  Less than that I get without much thought, more than that I’ve really got to want it.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My opinion is that saving a few ounces isn’t worth it whatever the cost, unless the replacement item has improved function or increases efficiency.

For example a modern 800 fill jacket is lighter and takes up MUCH less space in the pack than a 1980’s 600 fill jacket with a bomber shell.

When I switched from a poncho/tarp and bivy combination to a 8′ X 10′ cuben tarp and Marmot Essence I lost weight but gained a tremendous amount of living space and could stay dry in a downpour when setting up my shelter, because I no longer had to take off my rain gear when setting up.

Moving from that combination to a Hexamid and cuben poncho saved a couple ounces, but gave me quicker time to set up and rain gear that wasn’t a sweat box when hiking.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

That all depends on what the item is. Sometimes it is, given improved function for the same weight or less. Other times, it isn’t. I pay for ti shepherds hook stakes and carry 7 of them. I could just whittle a few when needed. It is worth it to not have to fiddle with making stakes to carry an ounce and a half of them. Sometimes volume is very important. It is worth an extra ounce to save the decreased 25% volume…say a sil tarp vs a heximid. The tarp doesn’t save weight, it is just a lot smaller to pack.

Anyway, 900fp down is exceptionally good for cold weather. Low humidity, not a lot of rain and wet snow. If I was to head out at ~32F/0C I wouldn’t want it, though. 800fp down will be about the same warmth as 900fp. And it depends on where you hike. If you hike in a dryer area, go for the 900, but, if it is in a wetter region, you are just wasting your dollars because the extra will be humidity loss.

Matt Macaulay
    BPL Member

@mmacaulay1-2

Locale: Texas

I was in a similar situation, but I was more concerned with packability than weight. I was upgrading from a RevX 800 fill. I was curious how much better 950 fill would compress and got this back from EE:

“950 fill will compress roughly 10-15 percent more than 800 fill.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.”

I ended up going with an Enigma 850 fill and saving that extra money for something else.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Also consider the quilt’s shell material… 10D is much lighter and less bulky than 20D and IMSO (in my subjective opinion) 10D also permits the quilt to dry out a lot more quickly than a heavier, less permeable shell.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools