Topic

Coronavirus pandemic: What else can we do to help?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Coronavirus pandemic: What else can we do to help?

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That looks pretty easy to make one of those masks, I submitted the form, they’re supposed to reply back

I think that’s a washington organization, I’m in Portland, I’ll see what happens

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Eat more fish
    Most American-caught fish goes to restaurants, and that market is collapsing. But according to the Environmental Defense Fund quoted in the LA Times “Over the past 20 years, American fisheries have become some of the best managed and most sustainable in the world thanks to policy reforms and the hard work of fishermen.” So if you eat fish, eat more using guidance from Seafood Watch to support your local fishing industry.

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Contribute idle computer time to COVID-19 research

For 19 years Folding@Home has taken advantage of idle time volunteered on home computers to help scientists study proteins, a key part of all viruses. They recently set up a special project “simulating the dynamics of COVID-19 proteins to hunt for new therapeutic opportunities.” You download and run software on a Linux, Mac, or Windows computer, and while your computer is idle (most of the time!), it runs simulations for the project.

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Today’s hiccup ate four of my posts here; lucky I kept copies and will repost.

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Offer specialized services to local support groups
    A non-profit in your community might be able to use your high-demand skills while working from home. Examples include web site maintenance, social media manager, IT support, accounting, fundraising, and communications (e.g. writing press releases and web pages). Many regions have umbrella organizations like community foundations that can connect you with volunteer opportunities.

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Entertain your close neighbors
    All over Italy, people confined to their homes and apartments are singing, playing instruments, juggling, leading exercise groups, and finding many other creative ways to lift the spirits of their neighbors. What unique skills could you share with close neighbors?

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Encourage sharing
    A man in Encinitas, California, frustrated with toilet paper shortages, stood in a busy intersection with a sign reading “Share your toilet paper.” Drivers dropped off and picked up this uniquely American hoarding obsession for several hours. What else could you safely encourage people to share?

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Plant a victory garden and share the bounty
    Business is booming at Los Angeles nurseries after they started up online ordering, parking lot pickups, and even home delivery. Most popular: vegetables. If you can’t afford nursery plants, buy seeds online. Helping new plants grow can be very calming, and soon enough you’ll have enough zucchini to feed the neighborhood.

— Rex

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

My sister who is a costume designer and seamstress for the Opera, 5th ave. Theatre, ballet ect. here in Seattle has along with the people who work in the Costume shops(and are now unemployed)have already signed up to make masks and anything else they might need at local Hospitals

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Unless you need it spend that 1000 +/- that will be sent to you by supporting small local businesses once they reopen .

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

@rex

thank you for posting

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I have some medical face masks.  I dropped by the fire department and they said they didn’t want them.  Call the Oregon Health Authority.  Monday normal hours.

I can see how they wouldn’t want masks from some random person, they need packaged ones from the supplier that are certified to be sterile and so forth.

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

Rosetta @ Home is another protein modeling initiative that anyone can donate computing resources to. Just install their software and choose to research for the Rosetta project.

Backcountry.com is paying their retail employees during the closures and are currently having a sale on their website. Patagonia closed their stores and stopped online ordering and are still paying their employees, but said they’d consider resuming online orders to some capacity. If there was something you were considering buying, you could see if it is available from a retailer who is supporting communities vs just trying to save their own bottom line.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Undocumented people are not being helped by the government. Locally we have an agency that provides legal, physical and financial help to undocumented people that is accepting donations. Maybe there’s a similar agency where you live. These people pick your food, cut up your meat, clean things and do all sorts of “essential” work (a word I’m sure will soon carry the opposite meaning and become a disparaging term soon.)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“all sorts of “essential” work (a word I’m sure will soon carry the opposite meaning and become a disparaging term soon.)”

You’re right Diane. It’s funny, in a very sad way, that far too many people look down on those who work with their hands/do manual labor, yet these are the people who are keeping the economy going such as it is. And when this is over, they’ll still get paid shit for wages and will still be looked down on.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

We praise them as heroes so we don’t have to worry about how much they suffer under low wages and hazardous conditions.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Yeah, it’s politically expedient to demonize “illegal” immigrants but we’re finding that food will go unpicked without them and rot in  the field.  Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

“It’s funny, in a very sad way, that far too many people look down on those who work with their hands/do manual labor, yet these are the people who are keeping the economy going such as it is. And when this is over, they’ll still get paid shit for wages and will still be looked down on.”

Yup, a $15 minimum wage would be a step in the right direction

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools