Topic

Cork Grip for SUL Saws

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cork Grip for SUL Saws

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

With inspiration from Josh J, I decided to make some cork grips for one of my 11″ (of teeth) SUL saws. Pretty simple. Just epoxied some chunks of cork boards to the sides of the grip and shaped with a 1/2″ hand-held belt sander and Dremel, then sprayed with Plasti-Dip. Was surprised by how long it took to sand and shape – almost an hour, and it takes a VERY delicate touch not to sand too deeply too fast. Finished of with an emery board for final shaping. Pleased with the shape and feeling of the grip, and with the weight too – only 0.4 oz heavier than with 1/16″ basswood on each side.

Cutting the cork:

Cork glued and trimmed, ready for shaping:

Shaping tools:

Right side shaped:

Finito!

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Nice grip!  I’m not sure about the blue finish, but I bet it’s comfortable nonetheless!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Blue was the customer’s request. Very comfortable :-)

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Roger Mumsey: sent you a PM

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

It looks like that would be a lot more comfortable to use.  Nice job!

There are rolls of cork for bulletin boards.  It wouldn’t give nearly as thick a handle, but could give some more padding and grip compared to the metal of the saw blade with minimal added weight and volume.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Thanks David. Can I send you one to try out?

Previously I did my saw handles either Plasti-Dip on bare metal or on various thicknesses of basswood cut to shape. Not having seen it used on any hard-duty saws I wasn’t sure how it would hold up.  So I gave that customer a lifetime guaranty (my lifetime) to replace it if/when it wears out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools