Topic

Converted Costco down throw

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Converted Costco down throw

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I needed more warmth, and a warmer bags is  a bit of money. So I cut dowm a Costco down throw, into an overquilt.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I need to resize pics.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

That’s a very nice $20 (plus labor!) solution to a $300 problem.

Slightly off topic:  There’s a bunch of UL techniques I use when I travel (work, vacation) to light my load.  We just got back from 5 days in N’awlins and hadn’t figured out the thermostat the first night. The sheet and blanket were really thin and there wasn’t a extra blanket around.  One of those Costco down throws would have been a quick and easy solution.  It comes up often enough – maybe 1 night in 10 – that I haven’t figured out all the settings well enough or that one of us wants more insulation at night, that I might start bringing one of mine along for most trips.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I take one when I travel too!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

My biggest UL travel trick is to always have a 12-16 ounce, 1-liter-volume inflatable sleeping pad.  Having to sleep in an airport or squeezing another person into a hotel room is SO much more comfortable on a proper sleeping pad.  Because I often get to Anchorage after the last flight onto to my town, I use that trick 3-4 times a year on purpose and 1-2 times unexpectedly.

For road trips and sleeping in a car, my go-to item is a full-sized pillow.  Even if I bought it on that trip for $6 at Walmart.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools