Topic

contamination of treated water

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) contamination of treated water

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

someone asked if it’s okay to have a few drops of untreated water in your treated water container

I might use my treated water container to get untreated water, then want to use it to put treated water into.  Can I just shake the water out and call it good?  There’ll be a few drops of untreated water left in it which will contaminate the treated water that I put into it.  But is it enough to make any difference?

According to the google, 1 drop is 1/20th of a mL.  There are are 3785 ml in a gallon.  So a gallon contains 75,700 drops of water.  So 1 drop is 0.000013 of a gallon.  So, the treated water is 99.999% of the gallon.

So, 1 drop in a 1 gallon container is like a filter that’s 99.999% effective.

The Squeeze advertises 99.9999% effective against protozoa.  99.99999% effective against bacteria.

So, putting just 1 drop of water in a gallon is 10 or 100 times worse than the spec’d performance of the filter.

That would say that maybe you shouldn’t have even 1 drop of untreated water, although it may be that the 99.9999% or 99.99999% is way more than needed.

One thing you could do is partly fill your container with treated water, then shake it vigorously and dump it.

When you’re filtering, it’s easy to accidentally drip a few drops of untreated water, but this calculation would say that you should carefully avoid this.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

All of my containers are untreated water, and then I put the filter on when needed to use them.

If I want a clean container, I use an Aquatab, which weighs practically negative weight. Fill container with 750ml of water to get correct ~6 PPM chlorine, and one tablet will nuke it clean in 30 minutes. Then use the water inside to clean the outside of the bottle and other camp stuff that could use a light disinfecting, such as funky underwear and shirts.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Better not swim and then lick your lips…

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“Dilution is the solution to pollution” is axiomatic in my industry.

Shaking it out and calling it good, yes, will diminish the treatment efficiency, significantly in some cases.

OTOH, putting an ounce of treated water into the formerly dirty container with 1 ml remaining in it, swirling it all around and dumping out 30 ml of treated water would remove 97% of what was in there.  Do that twice and you’ve gotten 99.9 percent out of what residue remained in exchange for wasting 2 ounces of clean water.

The more time you do it, the better it gets.  Also, the more rinses you perform with a set amount of clean water, the better.  30 ml to get out one ml and repeat with another 30 ml gives 1 – (0.03×0.03) = 99.9 but 15 ml used four times is 1 – (1/16)^4 = 0.99998

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“30 ml gives 1 – (0.03×0.03) = 99.9 but 15 ml used four times is 1 – (1/16)^4 = 0.99998″

sheesh, all that goes without saying.

I’ll treat my large soft camp bottle and leave it out in the sun. The sun fries any left over little buggers good. Buggers divided by sunlight plus iodine*** equals safe water.
    that’s my mathematical take.

***I think REI still sells iodine tablets.

and yes to ‘dilution is the answer to pollution”. I’m guessing our bodies can fight off a miniscule amount of bad bacteria that our filters may have missed.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

“I’m guessing our bodies can fight off a miniscule amount of bad bacteria that our filters may have missed.”

Yeah – maybe 99.9999% or 99.99999% is unnecessary – you probably don’t need that much filtering

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

“Dilution is the solution to pollution”

That’s funny, I was hiking with Doug and he mentioned that and attributed it to David :)

Sometimes, dilution causes a problem, like it would be easier to extract CO2 from a smokestack with high CO2 concentration, than free air with low CO2 concentration

Not that I advocate CO2 extraction – probably not practical, just an excuse to continue burning fossil fuels

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I rarely put untreated water into my pint bottle that I use for drinking

I think I’ll just do what David suggested – rinse it out a couple times

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

There is also the ‘human factor’… If you adopt the thought that ‘a little does not matter’, then at some point ‘a little’ can become more… and more…

Best to keep good habits… similar to using your turn signal automatically whether there is another car in the intersection or not. I just never  use the dirty water bottle for treated water… always keep them separate. Though your mileage may vary…

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Or a belt & suspenders approach: Toss a bit of chlorine or iodine in the dirty water bottle before or after use so what remains in there is being treated, chemically.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

This video (and the whole 5 part series) from Gear Skeptic lays out excellent examples of why that extra .00001% COULD make a difference, particularly if you are on the trail for a hundred days on a Thru or are drinking very dirty water.

YouTube video

I think he shows that something like 3% of hikers will theoretically get ill on a 150 day PCT hike drinking treated water 100% of the time because of the buggers that slip through .0001% of the time. Some cysts (Giardia if I remember right?) only need 1 or 2 to make you sick.

I dont fret about it, but i do rinse with fresh water a couple-few times per david’s dilution method if a little dirty water contaminates my bottle. Personally I always have time to prevent waterborne illness in the backcountry. Havent been burned…yet.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools