Topic

Condensation only under the pads?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Condensation only under the pads?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Last week wife and I did a 3 day trip in the Sierra. In one afternoon it rained off and on for 4 hours. Stayed dry in the Duplex. The next morning there was no condensation on the tent walls, dry as a bone-set the poles to 125cm-but under each pad was damp. So much I had to wipe it up with my buff and dry the pads during the day. No moisture anywhere else. I have never had this happen before. Tent floor is not compromised. Is this common?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Two possibilities:

– your floor is not at waterproof as you think.

– the temperature of the floor under your pad is the same temperature as the ground and to the extent that damp air was trapped under your pad or found it’s way under during the night it then condensed on the cold surface.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Exactly what Henry wrote. BOTh will happen.

Fwiiw, we very often have moisture under our pads when camping in winter on snow. It condenses at the sides of the pads and runs under. Normal.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, water get in from wherever and then flow under the pad

splash in from the rain or something

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Thanks for the replies.  Didn’t feel/see any splash back during the event-dry everywhere except under pad.  Wasn’t a big deal, just hadn’t had this happen.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools