Topic

Compression socks/compression leg sleeves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Compression socks/compression leg sleeves

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Has anyone found compression gear to be helpful for reducing leg fatigue?  I’d be interested in helping my calves out, but I don’t want to wear different socks–I really like my Injinji toe socks.  Are the leg/calf sleeves just as helpful as the socks, or should one really have the full sock for maximum benefit?

Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

Since no one ever responded to this old thread, I guess no one is using leg sleeves?

I saw another BPL thread where everyone poo-pooed compression.  I can’t stand compression shorts, and I don’t like wearing socks at all, let alone compression socks. But I’m just starting to get into more trail running/fastpacking, and I was thinking calf compression sleeves might help reduce calf/shin fatigue and post-run soreness.

But more importantly, I probably just need to work on improving my form, maintain faster strides/min, more midfoot-strike/less forefoot-strike.  Form and training are more important than any gear.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I’ve used CEP calf sleeves off and on, but never really noticed much effect positive or negative. With that said, I rarely have issues with calf soreness or fatigue in the first place. They’re very widespread among the ultra community so there’s probably some usefulness there. Seems like Allen C uses them. Maybe he will chime in with his experiences.

Ryan

Graham Fong
    Spectator

@campergf23

Locale: Northern Ontario

I wear compression sleeves after runs, and after long bike rides. I find that they help with recovery. My legs feel fresher, and better the next day.

I’ve never used them backpacking, but I think I’ll try them this year on a few trips, I’ll just put them on for when I’m in camp.

Socks vs sleeves- there’s not going to be a difference. I’d use sleeves so you can wear whatever socks you want, plus if you get the compression socks, the sock part will get dirty before the sleeve.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

My wife uses Smartwool calf sleeves and loves them. Might be mental, but she swears it helps her legs and even ankles, seems to think they help keep them from getting as sore. FYI, she actually wears them while we hike.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools