Topic

Comparison of Acteryx Squamish and Nodin Windshirts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Comparison of Acteryx Squamish and Nodin Windshirts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

The Squamish windshirt has recieved a lot of attention on this forum, so I thought I would take a look at one.  The Squamish and Nodin perform similarly.  Their air permeability is fairly low-lower than the Patagonia Houdini Air I reviewed in a prior post.  The results of the Hydrostatic Head pressure test suggest they won’t keep you dry for very long in all but the lightest rain.

If you have a windshirt you’d like tested and are willing to part with it for a few days, send me a PM and we will make the arrangements.

Let me know how my numbers may match your experiences with these garments.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mj277obi6vro48h/Performance%20Evaluation%20of%20Arcteryx%20Squamish%20and%20Nodin%20Windshirts.pdf?dl=0

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Thank you, Stephen!

Have you tested any WPB fabrics using the same MVTR protocol you applied to the Nodin and Squamish?

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

The present test reflects a suggestion by Richard Nisley  to incorporate air movement into the testing process.  I did numerous tests with no air, internal air movement (as shown here) and internal and external air movement.  I expected that external air movement from a fan producing an 8 mph breeze would cause greater evaporation in the Houdini Air as compared to the Houdini. Instead, evaporation from both garments was reduced and there was in no case any significant difference in performance between the Houdini and Houdini Air.  What instead happened was that increased convective cooling of the garment surfaces from outside air movement dropped the temperature of the micro climate beneath each garment.  This dropped the vapor pressure differential between the micro climate and outside ambient so that evaporation through the garment dropped.  So far, I have not proved that additional small differences in air permeability make a difference.

To answer your question, I have worked with WPB previously, specifically Gore-Tex and Neoshell and have gotten some interesting results.  I will do some more work with these materials as the changes I make for the breathability test move along.  It will be a while as the breathability test is inherently time consuming so test control and procedure development takes considerable time.

I hope to have something useful to write about by summer.

Zachary T
    Spectator

@valinor223

Based on your testing results (and Richards), with the 2019 Squamish and Nodin coming in at around 11 CFM, the Houdini Air at ~15 CMF, and the Montbel Tachyon at ~20 CFM, what options do we have for a windshirt/jacket at around 35 CFM? The only one i’ve been able to find currently available is the EE Copperfield 7D.

I’ve been researching this forum like crazy, but it seems like there are large variations from year to year of the same model windshirts.

Are there other options?

PS. Big thank you to Richard (@richard295) and Stephen (@crashedagain) for your hard work and time in reviewing, testing, and sharing your analysis of these windshirts!

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Zach:

Quick clarification.  In my review, I published the permeability of the Tachyon to be 10.5.

I cannot answer your historic question, since I started making air permeability measurements this year.  Richard has published photographs that document some fabric changes from year to year. However, in the testing I have done so far, I have not found a 35 CFM windshirt.  I would like to test one.  If someone has a 7D EE Copperfield wind shirt, I would be happy to test it.  Even better, if someone has all three, that would make an interesting comparison.  Turnaround on the testing would be a couple of days.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply. Seems your research is taking an interesting turn. I wish you luck and thanks again for sharing your work with BPL!

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Montane Featherlight 7 is also 7D. Intended for running, no hood. Unfortunately I don’t have access to one!
    I do appreciate the time it takes to do such intense testing. We appreciate your contributions!

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Bill:

I looked at the featherlight 7 in the store and on line.  It appears to be the same fabric, so I expect the same performance.

Thank you for your kind words.

Jean D
    BPL Member

@jdejace

Sorry to revive your thread, and also apologies if it was explicitly stated and I missed it, but to clarify: this was a 2019 model Squamish you tested?

Thanks!

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Yes.  2019.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools