Topic

Commercially-produced alcohol stove systems for Scouts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Commercially-produced alcohol stove systems for Scouts

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Yes! HEET in YELLOW bottle. Best to use for low odor when burning 

Christopher V
    BPL Member

@thevonz

Jon,

Well, we’re in San Diego and our Scout Troop only gets to the Sierras once, maybe twice a year, so it doesn’t make sense for us to have alcohol stoves just for the Sierras.  Besides, those trips are usually at least a week and for 8-12 people in our crew we’d have to carry a significant amount of alcohol fuel, partially offsetting the weight savings of the stoves.  On PCT between the Mexican border and the Mohave Desert, many parts of it have alcohol stove bans (and our Troop has hiked several sections of the PCT).  I also doubt Philmont would allow the use of alcohol stoves but I could be wrong.  Thanks, CV

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I also doubt Philmont would allow the use of alcohol stoves but I could be wrong.

They do not allow alcohol stoves and even if they didn’t, it would be useless for patrol method cooking they require with large pots.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Let me 2nd Rex’s Trail Design Kojin WITH the appropriate Caldera Cone.  I believe it meets the BSA guidelines and the cone makes dumping a pot highly unlikely.

For you SoCal folk, use either yellow Heet or order online thru Home Depot (or equivalent).

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Trangias have large pots.

Trangias are standard equipment in outdoor training in Australia because they’re not pressurised so they’re safe for kids to use, with the proviso that the flames are hard to see.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools