Topic

Commercial Down Quilt Laundering Services?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Commercial Down Quilt Laundering Services?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have a quilt that I’d like to launder and I don’t want to do it myself. I found http://rainypass.com and I’m wondering if anyone has used their services before or can recommend other similar services.

Andrew F
    BPL Member

@andrew-f-2

I haven’t used Rainy Pass personally yet (I will when it’s finally time to wash my EE quilt), but I work for REI and we always recommend them to customers. I’ve only ever heard great things about their service so I don’t think you could go wrong with them. One thing to keep in mind though is their turnaround times, I have heard depending on the time of year that it can be a bit steep.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

@matthewkphx – I know you said that you don’t want to do it yourself, but honestly, it’s not hard! If you have a newer, front-loading machine, you can even do it at home. Not much special equipment required; just the down-specific soap (it is milder and suds less for easier rinsing), and then 5 or 6 tennis balls or dryer balls.

The first time I washed my WM sleeping bag, I was terrified that I would ruin it, but once I did it, I realized how unfounded my fears were.

For good technique, take a look at the WM website, or THIS.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“If you have a newer, front-loading machine”

Or a newer top loading machine without the agitator, like mine.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

matthew

I used Rainy Pass to have a Marmot bag with 850 down laundered. In 2016, the cost was $40 before return shipping. The turnaround time was about two weeks. They called me to ask whether I wanted a couple of ounces more down stuffed in.

All and all I think I have added years now to the life of the bag.

Cheers

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks for the responses.

I have an older top loader with an agitator. Maybe it’s time to upgrade…

I’ve thought about doing it myself at a laundromat but it sounds like a loooong day.

Thanks for the responses.

steven green
    BPL Member

@mrgreen4

I’ve also used Rainy Pass a few times, I highly recommend them.

Cheaper then a new Washer.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I’ve used them and was pleased.  They have been around for a long time.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

Rainy Pass is the go to service up here.  They have a lot of expertise with down gear.  I have been using them for years,and highly recommend them.

Robert R
    BPL Member

@rob-r

Locale: North Texas

I’ve used Rainey Pass also. Expect a little wait. A reasonable wait for the service.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

“If you have a newer, front-loading machine”

Or a newer top loading machine without the agitator, like mine.

Or a bathtub. It’s not hard at all to do in the tub. Just clean the tub first, be gentle, and be careful when finished and taking it out that you don’t let any part of it droop because the wet weight can tear the baffles. From there it can go in the dryer, no heat, with tennis balls, for multiple cycles.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I second the bathtub method that JR mentions above.

This was something that initially intimidated me…stressing I’d ruin a $$$ Western Mountaineering bag washing it myself.  And then I learned it’s really not a big deal and I’ve been washing my own down bags and garments for years.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Forgot to mention that Feathered Friends used them when I had a sleeping bag repaired under warranty.  (FF requires bags to be cleaned before working on them).

That was probably 20 years ago or so.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks for all of the responses.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

I use a Rubbermaid tote larger size that I fill with cold water and soap, add the quilt/sleeping bag and agitate and let sit for a few minutes then pour it out. Holding the tote on its side next to the utility tub (laundry room sink) then press the quilt/sleeping bag against side of the tote (when on its side that would be the bottom) until most of the water is out. Then I set the tote back on the floor with the quilt in it and pour more cold water into the tote. Let it sit a few minutes and agitate with my hands. Then I repeate this process 4-6 times, until my OCD is satisfied. I chose those process over the bath tub since I can guarantee no bath soap or cleaning chemicals get on the quilt.

After the last rinse I get as much of the water out of it as I can, then gently lift it into the dryer. I put about 3-4 dozen tennis balls in there and set the temperature to delicate and check on it every 20 minutes or so. I tried no heat, but that doesn’t do squat with my dryer. For my 0deg and -25deg WM I wash at home then take them to the laundromat to use there oversized dryers. Plan on lots of quarters ($20-$30 ea).

The laundromat was pretty funny as I could see the reflection of me and a few Mexicans watching the balls bounce around for hours on end. Would of been a great opening scene for Breaking Bad episode.

I have close to $5k in quilts and sleeping bags and have not wrecked a one with this process.

The first time was the scariest, and now it’s almost as easy as making a frozen pizza.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

“Would of been a great opening scene for Breaking Bad episode.”

ha, ha, ha,…

good imagination

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Quick note on washing down items in a bathtub, which I have done a number of times quite succesfully.

Use the flat of your hands to work water/soap in and out of the item, do not grab a fistful of the item and squeeze.  The latter causes the down to clump, and you may find clumps even after drying with tennis balls.  By tumbling in the dryer for a long time on no-heat you can eventually work the clumps out, but simpler to avoid them in the first place.

This is the voice of experience!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I washed mine in the bathtub a few times, and it isn’t hard. It’s the drying that takes forever, but its easy; low heat, tennis balls, and wait…..wait….and wait.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools