Topic

?? Comfort rating for the Western Mountaineering Kodiak 0 degree MF bag ??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ?? Comfort rating for the Western Mountaineering Kodiak 0 degree MF bag ??

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Denys
    BPL Member

@stitch_down

Locale: Rocky Top, Tennessee

What is the approximate comfort rating for the Western Mountaineering Kodiak 0 degree bag, in your opinion please??

I’m using the discontinued REI Magma 10.  ..for me, it’s a comfortable 30 degree bag without layers, liner, etc. etc. and “just adequate” at 15 degrees using liner and layers

Thanks!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

EN ratings for WM bags are hard to find and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one for the Kodiak, but I think if you find the 10* Magma only good to 30*, you might find the Kodiak good to 15-20*.  Note that the Kodiak is a huge bag and I think the Magma is really narrow.  If you want a little smaller WM bag, I’d get the Antelope with overfill.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Also – what sleeping pad were you using?  Don’t underestimate the impact of your pad on sleeping warmth.

Denys
    BPL Member

@stitch_down

Thank-you, Brad!

Good question on the pad! I’m using the NEMO Tensor insulated and was under the impression that it had an R value of 5, but that may not be the case!

Best!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

If it has an R-value of 5 you should be OK. The EN process assumes a pad R-Value of 5.
    The Kodiak would be a really warm bag, you might find it good to 10-15* even. I just wanted you to note that it’s a really wide bag and if you’re on the slimmer side its internal volume may be hard for you to heat. Depending on what sort of temperature you really want to be warm in the Antelope with overfill is equivalent to most people’s 0* bags, or you could even step up to the Lynx or Puma if you really wanted a near 0* bag and sleep a bit cool.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

The Nemo Tensor Insulated is ASTM R 3.5, which might cut about 4° F from a bag’s effective EN rating.

The Nemo Tensor Alpine UL is ASTM R 4.8, which exactly matches the EN test specs. Compared to Tensor: +3 ounces, +$65.

Handy table of ASTM R-values:

https://sectionhiker.com/the-new-sleeping-pad-r-value-standard-has-arrived/

Many, many variables determine how warm you sleep besides bag EN rating and pad R-values – no guarantees.

— Rex

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

WM bags are right on the money as far as I am concerned.  I use them in the winter without shelter but with a bivy.  I have had a WM Antelope MF (5F) at 3F and slept like a baby.  I have also had a Lynx MF (-10) down to -16F and slept perfectly.

I use a Prolite and a Ridge Rest and sleep with a thin Smartwool bottom and a Capilene T-shirt with a Cap 4 Hoody.  Also Smartwool socks.

I have essentially traded both of the above bags for a single Kodiak MF and have all the confidence in the world I will be good down to 0F.

Christie C
    Spectator

@chris1

WM has had some of their bags EN tested but it’s a little hard to find hit their menu then go to FAQs you will find that the Kodiak is one of the few bags they have that WMs rating is not an EN comfort rating of you can fit in the antelope It would probably be better

Christie C
    Spectator

@chris1

Actually the comfort rating for both the Kodiak MF and Antelope MF are both +13

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Interesting – I never knew where to find WM’s EN ratings though I’d seen them for a couple of bags before from various sources.  Great info Christie!

Denys
    BPL Member

@stitch_down

Thanks, All!   I think I will shop for a warmer pad; maybe the new valve Xtherm Max?

Best!

.d

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I have a 2014? X-Therm and it’s a really warm pad.  I’ve also used a Exped Downmat UL7 and it was super warm, but was a bit heavier and more of a hassle than the XTherm.

Christie C
    Spectator

@chris1

The XTherm yes but I had no beef with the old inflation valves they worked fine for me. The last year models have had some great sales. Does anyone know if the raise in R- value was a change in design or just the result of the new test method

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

From my understanding no change in design (other than the valve).  The increase in R-value is completely a result of the test method.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’ve had my WM Megalite bag to +10 F. wearing medium polyester base layer and puffy jacket and pants in a TT Moment.

Then I had the Megalite overstuffed and now it’s easily good to +15 F. with just light base layer and light fleece balaclava. With heavier base layer and the puffy layer top & bottom I think it would be good to 0 F.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I’ve been toasty in a Kodiak at 10 degrees, but then I do sleep warm. I was doubled up on pads at the time with a ridgerest and I think and older downmat. I’ve always gone on the basis of taking a bag rated at least ten degrees warmer than the conditions you expect to face anyway.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I had a Kodiak for a while and really liked it. As I have a Puma also I sold the Kodiak as the  two were close in weight.

I think WM’s rating are realistic.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

“Does anyone know if the raise in R- value was a change in design or just the result of the new test method”,

Alan Dixon discusses that here Best Sleeping Pad for Backpacking 2020 | Complete Guide  .

BH
    Spectator

@pointeaubaril

You should be able to sleep in that bag at or very close to 0 degrees, unless you’re a very cold sleeper. I have the same pad (Tensor Insulated) and I was very comfortable at 19 degrees in a 10-degree UGQ quilt. I had it custom made with 950 fill power.

UGQ’s temperature ratings are legit, though. I thought WM’s ratings were accurate for comfort.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I’ve owned both the 6′ and 6’6″ version of the Kodiak. I’m a pretty restless sleeper and I like being able to move around inside the bag thanks to the extra girth. At 5’9″and 180-190lb, the 6′ was great, but I second-guessed myself having read that it’s a good idea to keep boots, water bottles, electronics, etc in the footbox of a longer bag in winter. Huge mistake. The 6’6″ bag was so much wider at the shoulders and hips that I couldn’t sleep anywhere near as warm as in the 6′ version. Too much dead air space to warm up.

I wound up buying the shorter bag back from the person I sold it to, as it was more than he needed. For me it’s been comfortable down to low single digits wearing thermals. If you’re built like a rugby player, the Kodiak is great. Otherwise consider a slimmer cut bag like the -10F Lynx. Side note: I wouldn’t suggest adding overfill to the Antelope to try to boost its 5F rating because the down has a higher likelihood of being compressed.

Generally I find WM are pretty accurate in their temp ratings – more so than other brands I’ve bought over the years. The Microfibre series bags are more comfortable for me than the Extremelite series, due to the improved breathability of the MF shell.

Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

If anything I would say WM is conservative in their temperature ratings. It’s a dramatic difference when compared to the more common bags found at REI etc.

Buddy B
    BPL Member

@buddyb

I have owned a Badger MF and currently own a Versalite and I tend to sleep cold, and both bags comfort ratings seem to be accurate for me with light base layer clothing, wool socks and a thermarest x therm ground pad.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I’ve owned and used 6 WM bags going back to 1992, and have found their temp ratings to be spot-on.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools