Topic

Combination Wind garment and minimal insulation vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Combination Wind garment and minimal insulation vest

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Thinking about winter in Alaska and Canada.

I’m not sure in my mind that the Patagonia R1 ninja pullover is going to be warm enough but using it in combination with the Nanopuff bivvy top would probably be too warm when active. So I am thinking I need a wind layer and some minimal torso insulation.

So my thought is to take a pattern for a hooded pullover and add a thin layer of synthetic insulation in the torso area.

Because I have it already I will probably be using LiteLoft and I’m wondering if a single layer would be enough for use in an active layer. The 3M LiteLoft isn’t the warmest insulation but it is robust and this garment will probably get a real beating. Because it will be an active layer and I want it to be reasonable breathable I’ll probably use either some old fashioned 2 ounce ripstop or some of the EPIC 1.7 I have in the stash or perhaps even some of my Australian Army windshirt fabric which is a little heavier and even more breathable. The military fabric is the most breathable of the three but also the heaviest at 2.4 ounces and the most robust; as expected of a military fabric

Thoughts and comments from a Northern winters perspective>??

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools