Topic

COLORADO in April…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning COLORADO in April…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tyler P
    BPL Member

@tylerpallisterhotmail-com

Hey just wondering if anyone has experience backcountry hiking/camping Colorado in April? My wife and I are Canadian so we’re used to camping in snow, just not places where avalanches are possible. Is the Continental divide possible to do in April? Or too much snow?  Just looking for some ideas for a 3-4 day hike in Colorado?

Cheers.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

There are about 600 miles of “divide” in the state, around a dozen major passes, and countless 4WD trailheads. More if you consider “other ranges”.

Any particular area/region/locale you are considering?

Tyler P
    BPL Member

@tylerpallisterhotmail-com

Yeah I realize there’s alot to choose from. So I guess what I’m asking is, what are some of the quintessential trails of Colorado and are they doable in April. We gave a week to kill and travel shouldn’t be an issue so no real preference on region.

Cheers

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Besides the link that, well, Link linked, be aware that avalanche danger can be very high in April. Old snow from winter with lots of fresh snow on top from spring snowstorms.

Not good.

Black Ridge Canyon Wilderness would be my choice for Colorado in April… Very easy to make a thirty mile loop. Grab a map and the loops are obvious.

But unless you are absolutely tied to Colorado, Utah may be a better choice in terms of overall options.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools