Topic

Colllegiate Loop Canister Fuel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Colllegiate Loop Canister Fuel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Locale: Rustbelt

After doing some research, it looks like my options for canister fuel on the Collegiate loop are pretty slim.  My Wife and I are starting and ending at Twin Lakes.  We are resupplying at Mount Princeton Resort and Monarch Crest Store.  As far as I can tell, UPS does not ship fuel canisters.  The Monarch Crest Store only accepts UPS packages.  It also appears that USPS employees can be hesitant to allow canisters, even if they comply with regulations.  Should I just suck it up,  buy canisters in Leadville before the trip and carry the whole time or risk that the small stores at each stop have canisters in stock.

Thanks for any advise.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’m PM you a trick I figured out.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I’m pretty sure that the Twin Lakes General Store will have canisters.  They usually do…they also have a “hiker box” near the door that usually has at least a couple of partially used canisters.  Call in advance if you want to be sure.

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Thanks.  I’m hoping the stores keep plenty in stock.  I might arrive too late in Leadville to get some for the start of the loop.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Princeton Hot Spings carried canisters in Sept 2017. They were the large 16 oz isobutane canisters often found in Wally World, however (NOT the same as the green propane ones just to be clear. )

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Thanks!

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

I’m thru- hiking the CDT and in Steamboat, when I hiked through that area, both the Twin Lakes store and Monarch Crest Store had canister fuel.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

” It also appears that USPS employees can be hesitant to allow canisters, even if they comply with regulations.”

The personal preferences of USPS employees are superseded by USPS regulations –

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/11/can-i-mail-backpacking-gas-canisters.html

Ask to speak to the postmaster/mistress.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools