Topic

Collegiate Loop – September 2 start – Couple of gear questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Collegiate Loop – September 2 start – Couple of gear questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andrew P
    Spectator

@ap_az

After I had to cancel my TRT trip due to the fire situation I moved my plans to Colorado to tackle the Collegiate Loop of the CT/CDT. Plan is to start from Twin Lakes on 9/2 and hike clockwise. With a planned 15 – 17 mile/day pace and a zero after Monarch Crest I plan to be on the Collegiate West section around 9/8 for 5 days.

I think I have my plans and gear dialed in, but I do have a couple of questions:

1. Given that cold(er) weather and/or snow are a distinct possibility does it make sense to pack microspikes? I’m not anticipating snowfields or anything like that, but am concerned that there may be some icy sections on the west side (CDT). I’ll be hiking in trail runners so without spikes things can get dicey if a long section of shaded trail gets iced over.
    2. As I’m anticipating highs in the 50s with lots of sun exposure I’m planning on wearing running shorts for most hiking with the option of adding merino baselayer bottoms or wind pants if more warmth is needed. Is September weather variable enough that it just makes more sense to suck it up and wear long pants? I usually wear shorts almost year round, but my mountains (southern AZ) top out around 9500′ so I’m not as familiar with conditions a few thousand feet higher.

Thanks!

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Well, we were camped on the west side of Cottonwood Pass last weekend.  Overnight temps one night were well below freezing/hard frost at 10K ft., and high peaks saw a little snow which was still there a couple of days later.  It warmed up during the day and shorts were comfortable.

September is variable enough that you might be able to get away with shorts/base layers/wind or rain (preferably) pants, particularly if you keep moving.  It’s possible, though unlikely, that you could see some kind of early significant snow event.  But even if that happens, the odds of snow sticking around for days are slim, so I probably wouldn’t bring spikes.  The ground is still warm.   Follow all your normal contact precautions anyhow, as weather can be unpredictable.  And the moose…watch out for those things.  Didn’t know there were so many over there!

Andrew P
    Spectator

@ap_az

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond as well as the recent data point from the west side. Not being from a cold climate I not in the habit of thinking in terms of ground temperature, but when considered from that perspective I’m not too concerned about the need for spikes.

I had been debating on wind vs rain pants but based on your report and the long-range forecast I’m now 100% in the rain pant camp.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Granted, I do a lot of off-trail hiking, but I never wear shorts in the Colorado mountains. It’s rarely hot enough to make them necessary, and we have a lot of willows.

I wouldn’t bother with micro spikes this time of year. Rain gear … of course.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools