Topic

Cold brew coffee while backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Cold brew coffee while backpacking

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

With an acid problem in the stomach, my doc suggested less acidic food.  Considering less spice is a non-starter, I’m looking at cold brew coffee and now looking at more economical options that also allow for more customization (don’t care for actual sugar for instance).    There’s pre-mix which I will try out this weekend (see below), but also wondering if there’s a way to do this fairly easy with just grounds?  Also any other “plain” mixes or concentrates?

Current Pre-mix – I’ve got some Starbucks brand instant cold brew at a little over $1/serving (Target iirc) that mixes in my dedicated 16 oz drink mix bottle (fwiw … it’ll be followed by caffeinated cherry Miyo [Miyo being a concentrated drink mix], Lemonade Miyo, Electrolyte Miyo and probably another lemonade Miyo post dinner.. I alternate with plain water btw).

I would like to try something else with less processing though where I have control of the ingredients (this stuff has cane sugar but I’d rather not be obligated to ingesting sugar that early – granted first world problems).

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Drinking coffee without condiments seems easiest yet. Perhaps it is an acquired taste? How about adding honey?

The first time I drank a beer, it was a disgusting taste.

I’ve never added anything to coffee, but then I started drinking it black in the service because in basic training they wouldn’t give us sugar or cream. Later, when I was stuck eating K and C rations, I found I could trade the included coffee condiments for the cigarettes that came with the rations.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I understand why you’re looking at cold brew as it’s feted as less acidic than ‘regular’ coffee.

Cusa makes instant cold brew coffee without sugar and such. I’ve had their instant teas before and thought they were okay, have never tried the coffee (didn’t even realize they had branched out into coffee till googling just now). They make a dark, medium and light roast in their instant cold brew line. Not cheap though.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I like my coffee and am willing to carry some weight to get a decent brew so I carry an Aeropress on my trips. You can use an Aeropress to make an excellent cold brew in two minutes – look here.

Experiment at home to decide the kind of coffee bean you prefer (I like a light roast for cold brew), and also try different grinds. I’ve found I like a finer grind for cold brew in the Aeropress.

Before each trip I grind the right amount of coffee, portion it for each day’s brew and then vacuum seal each day’s coffee at home. On the trail I use one pouch each morning and use the used plastic vacuum bag to pack out the used up grinds.

I used to have issues with acidity and avoided coffee for several years. But I found I’m not as sensitive any more and I take care to use the right coffee and right brew that doesn’t cause issues for me.

I don’t add anything to the coffee except water if it’s too strong – Aeropress coffee can be pretty concentrated.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I’m an ice coffee snoooot! I love my Starbucks and Dunkin. The Starbucks instant via , iced coffee are really nice.. Abiet.. Sugar in them.  I found Starbucks actual Cold brew pods in Target. It’s a box of small pods, like you would use in a kurig machine.. But you dont!! It says to open the pod, pour over ice and add water. This is a concentrated liquid cold brew coffee with no sugar or anything added. I just pour it directly into my water bottle and enjoy! Add sugar if u wish, powdered milk if you like, powdered coconut milk if you fancy!!! If you doing short weekend or even week-long trips, these are just fine to throw in your food sack.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Thanks all.  Looking in more at the options for trail and, in the case of aeropress, home.

Starbucks instant via .. iced coffee

Just tried that on an overnighter between posts and it was definitely smooth.    Wondering if I even need coffee creamer now ?  (think my ever increasing creamer adds to coffee we’re trying to force regular brew to be “less“ acid but gotta run that by my new doc)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

@hknewman: sent you a PM

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Here is a picture of the box of cold brew pods!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools