Topic

CNOC cold soaking apparatus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CNOC cold soaking apparatus

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Scott S
    BPL Member

@ohlol

I think this is new? I just ordered one. Has anyone tried it yet?

https://cnocoutdoors.com/collections/kitchen/products/1l-cnoc-cold-soak-bag

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Just looking at the photos and specs …

Compared to commonly used peanut butter and gelato jars, CNOC’s cold soak bag won’t stand up by itself, so it will be harder to eat from, and it looks harder to clean. OTOH, it holds more and might be lighter. Definitely a cold soak bag, since the upper temperature limit is only 120°F (49°C).

Let us know how it works out.

— Rex

matt kirk
    BPL Member

@matthew-d-kirk

Locale: southern appalachians

I’m a fan of TPU water bottles/bags. For food soaking application, I think I’d lean toward silicone. Do a web search for reusable silicone zip lock bags. There are several brands shapes and sizes to choose from. Some seem to flare at bottom so they can sit upright when full. They also advertise the silicone bags to be able to handle boiling water. So both hot and cold soak options, which is a nice plus…

Scott S
    BPL Member

@ohlol

I think I’ll be okay holding the bag until I’m finished. Seems like the potential for difficult cleaning is the only wild card issue, so to speak. Matt, the silicone bags I saw on Amazon looked good but seem heavy. Not a huge issue, but something to consider. Definitely much cheaper!

Now that I think about it, even with warm cooked meals, using a silicone bag is probably a good idea. One could easily reuse food storage bags that way.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Saw some silicone bags on Amazon and a 1 liter bag was 4.75oz….. so it’s up to you… curious to hear how the cnoc does

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Saw some silicone bags on Amazon and a 1 liter bag was 4.75oz….. so it’s up to you… curious to hear how the cnoc does

@ohlol
    have you tried it yet?

Scott F.
    BPL Member

@sfeuerenvironmentalforesight-com-2

Locale: West Coast & Sierra Nevada

I simply use quart size ziploc bags set them inside my MYOG pocket cozy then eat right out of the ziploc. My meals are already packed in them anyways. Also works for re-hydrating with boiling water. No mess or cozy bag/dish cleaning necessary. A little water from my bottle and quick finger rub cleans the spoon.  Use the thicker bags or double up to avoid potential leaks.  Super easy and very light way to enjoy a meal.  Save your money on the cozy product and invest in CNOC’s Vecto water bag as this product provides much more value to your eating and drinking system especially if you use a sawyer squeeze https://cnocoutdoors.com/collections/all/products/2019-vecto-2l-28mm?variant=20550036357209

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

@sfeuerenvironmentalforesight-com

i can see that for cold soaking, personal preference i won’t do for boiling water….

Brian W
    BPL Member

@empedocles

Couldn’t you reuse a Mountain House meal bag or a freezer bag to accomplish the same thing? I’d of course be fearful that they would open in my pack, but it should be fine at camp.

I’m trying to wrap my head around the upside of this approach versus other reusable containers. Wet food weighs more than dry, so the more you can soak the heavier it will become. It’s more packable than other containers though, but it might be more difficult to clean and eat out of.  But I can’t see it being any more difficult eating out of than those mountain house food bags unless it doesn’t stand up  Yeah, for a last minute weekend trip, I’ll still eat those

How much weight and space are you projecting to save?

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

The way i look at it is depending on your shelter you can probably set up in less than 15-20min and if your food just needs to be warmed there’s a time savings right there. plus your what carrying an extra 2- 4 cups of water which is roughly 16-32 oz of <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>consumable</span> weight that your only carrying for what a max of 4hrs for one meal assuming your lunch is cold. are you really going to notice an extra pound or two for 4hrs? i seriously doubt it……  depending on your stove you could be saving a lot or little weight plus like i mentioned before the extra water for re-hydrating the food is consumable so it’s not always there and depending on the food your eating it may only need to cold re hydrate for 30min compared to several hours.

as always hike your own hike :)

Scott S
    BPL Member

@ohlol

I tried it before my hike and wasn’t impressed. I found the opening to be too narrow to easily fit a long Toaks spoon. My hand was rubbing the inside of the container. (sorry for late reply–I assumed I’d get E-mail notifications by default!)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Reduce, reuse, recycle. That’s the way of the hobo thru-hiker-minded person. The ice cream jar, the peanut butter jar, the double-bagged quart ziplock, the re-used mountainhouse bag. These items come with a free portion of ice cream, peanut butter or dinner inside. And they are easy to replace.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools