Topic

Clouds and McLeods

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Clouds and McLeods

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    James Montavon
    BPL Member

@ct_jmonty-2

Companion forum thread to: Clouds and McLeods

James Montavon discusses of giving back to your trail community through his experience volunteering with the Colorado Trail Foundation.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I did my first official trail work in support of getting the Los Padres reopened after the January rains and cant recommend it more.

The scenery was at peak green and flower cover which was nice, and being back in the closed area for the first time since last year was also nice, but the best part was the people. I thoroughly enjoyed everyone on the trip and made several new friends in the area to hike with. (and I am picky about who I enjoy, so for everyone to be great is truly exceptional and is a testament to good people coming out to clear trail)

You will work your ass off, but it will feel good, be fun, and make lasting friends. I highly recommend everyone volunteer for a Working Vacation! You can sign up with your local forest conservation group, in my case, the Los Padres Forest Association. (and for anyone in the SoCal area, there is another cleanup at Piedra Blanca May 17-22. Please join us! Sign up at lpforest.org)

James Montavon
    BPL Member

@ct_jmonty-2

Thanks, Marcus! Sounds like you had a very similar experience- maybe we’ll meet on a trail crew some day

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Now that I’m retired I spend weeks every summer doing voluntarily work in the Sierra. It’s a great way to spend more time in the mountains, and I get to see lots of places I might otherwise not visit. I work with four different groups in three different national forests.  And now I’ve expanded that to include some website and office work for the volunteer program.  Highly recommended, all the way around!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools