Topic

Clothing worn/carried on Blizzard trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Clothing worn/carried on Blizzard trip

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

My clothing system was critical on this trip. If you have not read my short trip report or watched the short video.. please check them out in the Post-Trip report section of the forums, as i will not go into detail about it in this post. I will list what clothing i wore and what i carried on my trip along with a few pictures.. if anyone is interested.  The temperature was FRIGID.. BLUSTERY..and a fierce blizzard did blow thru the mountains for an extended period of time.

First a picture of the forcast from my phone.

Ok.. so my clothing worn..  Serius liner socks, smartwool midweight hiking socks, me undies, Patagonia thermal weight bottoms, Patagonia Nano Air insulated pants, Arc’Teryx  Zeta (FL) rain shell pants.   My boots were Salomon Tundras.                                                      Patagonia thermal weight hoody top,  Arc’Teryx Atom vest,  Patagonia Nano air hybrid hoody,  and Arc’Teryx Zeta (FL) rain shell top.                    I wore this the entire length of my trip.. hiking and at camp.. and on my second night (in the bivy in the blizzard)

My gloves i used smartwool liner glove, Zpacks fleece mittens, Zpacks over mittens and a pair of down mittens (RAB?)

My cloths carried.. which were meant for dry sleeping clothing .. smartwool heavyweight bottoms, Patagonia R 1 3/4 zip hoody , Patagonia Houdini top and bottoms, and 1 pair Smartwool thermal weight mountaineering socks and down bootie socks. (I only used the R1 hoody and the socks on the 1st night)

I also packed my Patagonia down jacket and Borah Gear down pants.. which i wore on Fridsy evening around camp.

I would say, it worked flawlessly for myself.. i was warm and dry and comfortable.. considering the conditions and the situation i was in. My toes and fingers did get cold sitting around camp.. but putting the gloves layers on and down booties solved that.

Im not sure there is anything i would change or swap out for future trips like this one..

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

A good list with a foundation of synthetic mid layers and down for camp. Kinda like I use.

My base layers are always polyester mid or polar weight and traveling mid layers are synthetic. Like you, at camp I add or replace with down insulation, mainly for upper body insulation.

So far I’ve avoided using down or synthetic booties to keep pack weight down. Additionally I don’t want to remove my hiking/skiing boots and liners long before bed time because I don’t want them to get cold before putting the liners into the foot of my bag.

** Finally, I always use 3 mm closed cell neoprene divers socks as a VBL. It makes a lot of difference in warmth by the end of the day when most boot liners would otherwise be soaked with sweat.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Oh yeah.. u reminded me. I forgot to mention that i had Rab vapor barrier socks. I was planning on using them over my down booties at night for bathroom calls.. being snow and ice on ground.. but i did not use them. I guess i should have worn them in my boots to keep them dry??

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools