Topic

Clothing (Tees)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Clothing (Tees)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Larry M
    BPL Member

@771234577

I am looking for a light weight tee shirt for summer hiking.  I am planning a thru hike of the AT next year.  (I had planned on one this year but a fall and two hair line fractures in the leg took care of that for now).  My friend and mentor has thru hiked in 2004.  He is insistent that polypropylene is the only material worth considering (though I have not had a discussion with him as to why).  So far, I am seeing polyester as the material of choice from the manufacturers that I have come across.  Does anyone know what is the difference between polyester and polypropylene?  Any reason why one would be considered superior over the other?  (I do plan on having that conversation with my friend).  Does anyone recommend any other material/,manufacturer for a tee shirt?  Thanks in advance.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

OR Echo. Comes in short and long sleeves.

Chris Hunkeler
    BPL Member

@hunkeler1961

Locale: San Diego County

Here are a couple of articles explaining the differences in the materials:
    https://outersports.blogspot.com/2006/10/polypropylene-vs-polyester.html
    http://www.servicethread.com/blog/article/polyester-vs-polypropylene-for-thread-and-yarn

My preferred summer hiking shirt is a Badger Sportswear Men’s B-Dry Long Sleeve Tee, 5 oz (142 g) made from polyester as seen in this photo:
    Chris Hunkeler in The Slot

The web site weight is listed as 5.8 oz. I weighed a size medium shirt and it was 5 oz. Looks like the Outdoor Research Echo beats this at 3.4 oz.

BS B-Dry comes in 31 colors and OR Echo in four.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

+1 for OR Echo. Super comfy and super fast drying.

They all stink after a while. Put it in a ziploc with a couple drops of Dawn (or look for a scent-free detergent). Agitate for about a minute. Take it out, wring it out a bit and put it back on. No need to rinse. Done.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

+2 for OR Echo Tee

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

To elaborate on the OR Echo, it’s super-light, very breathable, and wicks moisture well. It provides a surprising amount of sun protection despite the fabric being slightly “perforated”, I get no color or burn where covered by the shirt even when wearing it all day in the sun. It is one of the best synthetics for keeping the stink down. They also feel great, it has a slightly silky feel against the skin and has a nice amount of stretch and drape. I have two, size M, l/s is 3.6oz and s/s is 2.9oz.

One limitation is it offers no bug protection. And I don’t like the overall color palette that OR offers them in, most choices are either dark (attracts skeeters) or super-vivid bright colors. My l/s is the white with gray trim Duo, and my s/s is the same colors reversed, also Duo, I’m not wild about those but they are the least bad colors IMO.

Chris, that Badger Sportswear shirt looks similar, good find.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

I picked up a couple of the Echo s/s Tees after hearing about them here on BPL. I’ve only used them trail running, but much more breathable than any of the other synthetic shirts that I’ve used in the past. Even when they are wet, you can feel the coolness of evaporation as you run. I just wished that they made them in a tank.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

OR Echo for the win. I’ve got three of them and they’ve been fantastic.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I’ll give another shout out to the Echo t-shirt. I have a few of them now after using one for an AT through hike. I still have the shirt in my rotation and the stink did indeed come out after several washings. The hoody version is also great for sun protection.

I do find that the l/s fit a bit larger or looser than the s/s in the same size small.

I did find an aisics running tank years ago at an outlet that seems to be the same material or at least close enough.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Eric, it’s good to hear that it lasted for a thru and then some.

Although I’m a huge fan I would not have thought it durable enough for that.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Although I don’t have one to confirm, I hear the newest iteration of Patagonia’s Lightweight Capaline(sp) is the same fabric as the OR Echo and probably fits tighter (if you like a more trim fit).  I prefer the loser fit of the Echo, and use mine backpacking and running.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I just wanted to give a heads up if anyone is considering the echo hoody version it is on sale in two colors for less than $20 on the OR website: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens-echo-hoody/p/2440430054010

EDIT: looks like $11 s/s echo’s also!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Thanks Eric- you just had me order 4 more S/S :)

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

Thanks Eric. They’re having a great sale on some items as long as you’re not overly picky on colors. Picked up a hoody, s/s, l/s and a pair of ferossi pants for $65.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

I bought a l/s zip and crew. On the homepage they also have a 20% off coupon code. I sent an email to OR asking to apply the code to my purchase retroactively. They sent me an email this morning saying that the pricing was a mistake and they should have been $40. Looks like we lucked out!

John H
    BPL Member

@hogie

I picked up a Helium II for $40.51 yesterday. I don’t think that pricing was supposed to happen either. Looked again today and it wasn’t there.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I wonder if they will honor the reduced pricing?

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

If you live in a place that has a surplus store such as Ollie’s or Mardens, go there.  They typically have synthetic “sport” tee’s for $3 or $4.

Or, go to Wal-Mart and get a couple of Russel branded athletic shirts for under $10 a piece.  Or try Target for the Champion brand.

Try Marshall’s or TJ Maxx.  Look into their athletic racks.

Or go to an outlet mall that has a Columbia and/or The North Face and/or Adidas and/or Helly Hansen and/or Under Armor, etc.  Check out their clearance racks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools