Topic

Clothing Question for Collegiate Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Clothing Question for Collegiate Loop

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Sadly, this would be for NEXT July/August.  What would you wear for an active top layer while hiking?  I will have a Rab Microlight for static warmth, and Merino Air top and bottom for sleep clothes.  Am trying to decide whether to wear an Ibex Hoody (W2 lightweight vs. Indie midweight) or a Melanzana microgrid fleece (crew vs. hoodie).  I will also carry a Luke’s Ultralite windshirt.  This would be my first trip to the western mountains; my experience is mainly AT section hikes (including the Smokies in January), Foothills Trail and the like.

What would YOU wear, and why?  Thanks.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Bump.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

My top layers for hiking here in the Rockies in the summer:

Baselayer:  OR Echo l/s zip neck or Patagonia lightweight capilene l/s zip neck. These are comfortable even when hot.

Mid or outer layer: Patagonia thermal weight capilene hoody, if colder and wet forecast a 100 wt. fleece. I carry both usually and use one or both as sleep clothes. I tend to be cold after a long day, no matter the temp.

Usually a Houdini wind shirt and always a hard shell plus down hooded puffy.

Scott W
    Spectator

@jswharton

A little south of the loop but for the San Juans In July and August

Base/hiking – Stoic Alpine Merino 150 Bliss shirt LS – Insect Shield

mid hiking – Stormtech SFP-1 1/4 zip Fleese Top LG

at camp – GoLite Selkirk Ultralight Down

no hoodies for me, beanie and ear muff

sleeping either –  IBEX Woolies 150 or REI silkweight

Houdini wind shirt and frog toggs rain

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

For my Colorado July/Aug trips I have just gone with a Ibex Zip-T 150 weight short sleeve shirt and an Arc’teryx Squamish jacket for my top layers. I carried my Zpacks Poncho/Ground Sheet for rain. Make sure your active top layers play well with your rain gear, July/Aug is monsoon season in the mountains, it will rain some every day.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

I appreciate the replies.  Sounds like a midweight Indie is a little much.  I do have some 150 wt. Icebreakers in the closet but they are LS.  Also, the OR option is interesting, I was unaware of that piece.

I do NOT like using a rain jacket in place of a wind jacket, so I’ll bring my Houdini AND my Luke’s Ultralite Jacket….roughly 7 oz. for the pair.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools