Topic

Clothes and gear in sleeping bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Clothes and gear in sleeping bag?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Chris W
    Spectator

@reggiedog

<p style=”text-align: left;”>What gear do you keep warm (un frozen) at night and how?</p>
    I can’t fathom putting anything other than shells on in the morning that’s been outside. So I basically have it all in my sleeping bag  from boots to water bottles.

What do you do?

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

I don’t stash anything extra in my sleeping bag at night.  If there is a chance of freezing, I’ll tuck my water bottles next to my side on the outside of the bag, but that is the only accommodation.  I’ve never found the initial shock of putting on cold clothes to last more than a second or two.  Even wet socks and shoes warm up rather fast.  I’ll take that temporary discomfort rather than spooning with them all night.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Take liner out of shoes\boots and put them inbetween myself and underquilt. My shoes I can put in side pocket of hammock. Any extra clothes I will put in a stuff sack and use as a pillow. Water i keep in my hammock with me, next to my side.

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

All of my clothes go into the bag. As long as I throw on a balaclava and breath into it and not the bag, they will be warm and relatively dry. My boots will be pretty frozen, though. That sucks. I refuse to put them into my bag though. Maybe there’s a better way?

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Water filter.  Dixie didn’t on her CDT hike, it froze and was useless.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Ahhh.. Good ol Dixie, lol. I enjoyed watching her videos.. Good stuff and mad props to her for the achievements!!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

If your boots have removable inner soles, take them out and put them under your pad.. At least keep them fairly warm and not frozen.. It helps

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Ahhh.. Good ol Dixie, lol. I enjoyed watching her videos.. Good stuff and mad props to her for the achievements!!

I of course never wish for her or anyone to make mistakes, but it’s good to include the mistakes in her videos.  While they say we learn more from our mistakes than success, I tell our scouts it’s better to learn from other people’s mistakes.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Pull open your boots a far as possible.  If they get frozen, it makes it easier to get your feet in the next day.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

On a Wonderland Trail circumnavigation trip one night my daughter complained about wet socks not drying out.  I took them and laid them on my belly (cold and wet, yikes) all night (under synthetic quilt, probably 40 degF at night) and they were completely dry in the morning.  She had no idea what I did and was very happy.

What parents won’t do for their kids!

When she found out what I did she was extra grateful, I think that’s worth at least two extra grandchildren, don’t you think?

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I put my hiking clothes in a plastic grocery bag and put that under the foot end of my pad. Elevates my feet while I sleep and my clothes will be warm in the morning.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Any clothes i am not wearing are my pillow, also keeps them semi warm. My winter boots are ski boots, plastic with thermoformable foam inners. I pull out the footbeds and those come in the bag with me. In the morning, hot drink in 1/2 liter nalgene takes turns in each boot inner so they are warm by the time i am ready to put them on. They never get wet, that’s the beauty of plastic boots.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My LL Bean -20 F. down bag is made long to accommodate items in the foot of the bag.

My water bottle or bota (wineskin used for water) go there along with boot liners and battery operated items like GPS and SPOT beacon. I always use boots with removable liners for winter camping. At the least I use 3 mm thick neoprene divers socks (my VBLs) to line my GTX hiking boots in October hunts in northern Nevada.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools